Best pellet food

Jay Crane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for a good food try American reefs HPD. They have a nice video showing how to mix it. Its very easy. Its a product you customize to fit your needs. I add a lot of nori to the mix. I've been using it for years. I have a reef tank with 6 large tangs and an assortment of other fish and its an SPS dominated tank. The product goes into a mesh bag that hangs on the tank. The fish pick at it until its gone. So there is no extra waste. Altho I do feed other foods to give them a variety they can do just fine on the HPD all by its self. They get 4 cubes of HPD daily.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for a good food try American reefs HPD. They have a nice video showing how to mix it. Its very easy. Its a product you customize to fit your needs. I add a lot of nori to the mix. I've been using it for years. I have a reef tank with 6 large tangs and an assortment of other fish and its an SPS dominated tank. The product goes into a mesh bag that hangs on the tank. The fish pick at it until its gone. So there is no extra waste. Altho I do feed other foods to give them a variety they can do just fine on the HPD all by its self. They get 4 cubes of HPD daily.

This looks awesome. Put it in a veggie clip or tuck it under a rock for inverts. Thanks for posting

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a combination of the following:
  • New Life Spectrum
  • PE Mysis
  • TDO Chroma boost
  • Hikari Marine S
Out of these 4, does anybody have a preference. I'm currently using NLS sinking pellets, but they sink like a rock and my fish doesn't catch a lot of them.. unless i put just a tiny bit at a time, which gets a little annoying.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rods foods. I know its frozen and not pellets. Lol .Those tiny pellets mentioned are great too by spectrum
D

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roe in the bottle. I cant remember who makes but they have lots of diffrent kinds and its a fridge food.
Oyster feast i think was another one of their popular kinds

D

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Frenzy!!!!!! I have never used pellets in fresh or salt but someone recommended the tiny .5mm pellets to try to wean a mandarin onto pellets. I promptly returned him to the LFS but my Rainford's, which was only eating pods before, loves them! So do the clowns, priolepis goby, anemones (straight in with a syringe), corals and inverts.

one thing thats definitely cleaner or better about pellets is that you don't have the excess "juices" that come with frozen foods. I think the extra juice could be good or bad depending on the general nutrient input into the tank, but I like that its not even a worry with pellets

Achmeal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use TDO & Seaweed Extreme currently. Have had great results as others have posted. Everything eats it. No complaints.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 31

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roe in the bottle. I cant remember who makes but they have lots of diffrent kinds and its a fridge food.
Oyster feast i think was another one of their popular kinds

D
Reef Nutrition. they also make phytofeast and have a good mysis in the same size bottle, I love ROE its the best.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing thats definitely cleaner or better about pellets is that you don't have the excess "juices" that come with frozen foods. I think the extra juice could be good or bad depending on the general nutrient input into the tank, but I like that its not even a worry with pellets

You do know this is a reefing myth? The "juice" in frozen is mostly water and contains little no phosphates/nitrates. No more then the food thats in the frozen pack.

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know this is a reefing myth? The "juice" in frozen is mostly water and contains little no phosphates/nitrates. No more then the food thats in the frozen pack.

If i had a microscope i'd take some and look at it. Its not so much a myth, the amount of phosphates/nitrates is just negligible but its still there. It probably also depends on the brand/product, ROE has a lot of goop around the eggs

and ive never noticed anything at all bc of it in my 20g but in my 4g i used to wonder

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is weird how sometimes it seems like R2R reads my mind.... I just ran out of 6mm pellet of PE that I picked up at a trade show. I am looking for a large pellet 5-6mm. My angelfish has become accustom to these and doesn’t see 3mm or smaller as food. I’m sure he will eventually figure it out if he gets hungry enough, but I also like the large option for controlling waste.
Any suggestion? Buying in bulk isn’t an option. It is for one fish.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish go cuckoo for Saki Hikari. If it's good enough for million dollar koi it's good enough for my fish.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish go cuckoo for Saki Hikari. If it's good enough for million dollar koi it's good enough for my fish.
I was really tempted to pick up some hikari. Heard good thigns about them. Which one do you get?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really tempted to pick up some hikari. Heard good thigns about them. Which one do you get?
I use the Saki Hikari Marine. I used Hikari Marine S for years too. They are both fine products.

Back