BEST PEST EATING FISH?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote would be a Melanarus Wrasse or Yellow Candy Hogfish. I think most fish that eat pests will also pose a risk to other inverts. Some less than others.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipefish are known to eat red bugs.
Would probably eat black bugs too.
They basically eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths. Dragon faced pipes are pretty easy to keep and great reef inhabitants.

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny this post came up. I bought a YCW last week (6 days ago). Dove into the sand after being introduced. Haven't seen him since. Would like to joing the comments about a great fish, but I dont know yet hahahahah. Waiting for home to come out of hiding lol.

OP
OP
MarsWulf5

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I have had them in a mixed reef successfully for years but with 1 recent issue... Didn't have any issue with cleaner shrimp, but as the 2 Yellow Coris I had became a pair (2 or so years after getting them as $20 tiny ones), when they male got to 4-6" he assassinated many of the other male wrasses and one yellow tang that were in my main display. I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it for my own eyes with the 5th or so casualty. First one day I found my Choati of 2 years (my favorite wrasse =( crusty and up under the creen top of my 300. I thought "Hmm, ok, super sad and odd, but maybe it was exploring?" Then I would say one a month, I lose my Meleagris, male orange back wrasse, 5yr old six line, 7" Melanurus, yellow tang, and then the one I saw that broke my heart was the yellow Coris beating up and killing my male flame wrasse. Upon seeing that I got a trap from a buddy and luckily was able to catch the male Coris and move it to our QT system. Its been a few months now and nothing more has died in the main system and as I split the male off, he has so far not bothered the larger tangs/sailfin, or any of the damsels in our QT. Moral of the story is Coris are amazing pickers, but I would be careful if they pair up or get older. Usually you can tell this when they start to get the colorful head mar
Well, after my 3rd trip to the shop I picked him up today. Feisty little fish. I put a lid on the tank just in case. The TY in quarantine had a fit... But now they are acting buddy buddy. Not much aggression... I think the Royal Gramma chased him a bit. I'll keep an eye on all of them. Being cool with the dottyback... And the blennies. Hope this batch of quarantine goes well.

To my horror, I saw an icy cyst on my black clown last night in my DT! After 10 months of quarantine...

Its because I opened my big mouth and bragged that my QT protocol works... Literally 10 minutes later my jaw hit the floor and I was eating my hat.

Now, going fallow is not an option. I have a UV sterilizer in my cart now... Trying to figure out how to hook it up to tubing... So I dont have to tear apart my brand new plumb. Never though I would actually need a UV sterilizer. Thought it was a luxury item... Like a Neptune. Anyhow...my QT for fish was a 10 month fail.

At least the Yellow Coris Wrasse is relaxed in his new home.

Have a box of sand in there for him and the blennies... They wont go near it! The YT goes in there and eats their algea pellet. what the heck?

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best pest eating fish hands down is the Great White Shark, will not touch your corals or inverts, watch out for you dog and cat, maybe chickens too.
Hopefully they can be trained, just careful of your fingers i just gotta figure a way of getting them to walk on dry land.
Oh sozza, i guess depends on what sort of pests you need to cull.

Parrotreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cool alternative to the yellow coris wrasse is the radiant wrasse ( Halichoeres iridis ). Other than the colour it is very similar the the yellow coris wrasse. It is a little expensive ( 50-100$ in the US, from what i‘ve seen ). Wrasses of the genus Halichoeres are often very small when sold, but get pretty big over time. So if you plan to get a harem of these wrasses, make sure to have enough space for them. Also, don‘t forget that they are sand-sleepers, so you need to provide them with a somewhat deep sand-bed.

some photos ( LFS and internet. Both not fully grown!)

Attachments

• 23F9111F-BFDC-4F7E-BAAB-E60B15C14FD7.jpeg
    23F9111F-BFDC-4F7E-BAAB-E60B15C14FD7.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 4BE17EAA-56A3-4F96-8C3F-BB4014C2268F.png
    4BE17EAA-56A3-4F96-8C3F-BB4014C2268F.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 46

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6line wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, dragon faced pipefish, springer demsels ( yes ) , green coris wrasse. There is more

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after my 3rd trip to the shop I picked him up today. Feisty little fish. I put a lid on the tank just in case. The TY in quarantine had a fit... But now they are acting buddy buddy. Not much aggression... I think the Royal Gramma chased him a bit. I'll keep an eye on all of them. Being cool with the dottyback... And the blennies. Hope this batch of quarantine goes well.

To my horror, I saw an icy cyst on my black clown last night in my DT! After 10 months of quarantine...

Its because I opened my big mouth and bragged that my QT protocol works... Literally 10 minutes later my jaw hit the floor and I was eating my hat.

Now, going fallow is not an option. I have a UV sterilizer in my cart now... Trying to figure out how to hook it up to tubing... So I dont have to tear apart my brand new plumb. Never though I would actually need a UV sterilizer. Thought it was a luxury item... Like a Neptune. Anyhow...my QT for fish was a 10 month fail.

At least the Yellow Coris Wrasse is relaxed in his new home.

Have a box of sand in there for him and the blennies... They wont go near it! The YT goes in there and eats their algea pellet. what the heck?
Do you use chemoprophylaxis when you QT or only a prolonged period of observation?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back