Best ph probe for calcium reactor?

SK_maui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you that are running a calcium reactor with an onboard probe which junction type probe is best? I was hoping to save some money going single but don't want it to fail too soon due to the level of acidity in the chamber. looking to run it off my apex to peg the ph.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve purchased LOTS of pH probes, many failing within days/weeks ... some lasting a year
Pinpoint, Apex (original equip) and BRS are more or less reliable brands, but IME experience, never trust a single pH probe, always have a hand held backup (like Pinpoint or Hanna)
Double Junction vs Single? Opinions vary, but I’d trust 2 seperate cheaper probes over 1 “quality” probe (again my experience only)

OP
OP
SK_maui

SK_maui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve purchased LOTS of pH probes, many failing within days/weeks ... some lasting a year
Pinpoint, Apex (original equip) and BRS are more or less reliable brands, but IME experience, never trust a single pH probe, always have a hand held backup (like Pinpoint or Hanna)
Double Junction vs Single? Opinions vary, but I’d trust 2 seperate cheaper probes over 1 “quality” probe (again my experience only)

I’ve had my share of probes but never one in a reactor before. I have a spare pinpoint I could use as a backup but I’d prefer I had some controllability with my apex. How accurate is the Hanna? I see mix reviews but it would be nice to have to spot check against your continuous duty probes.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run a Apex or ph probe/ controller on my carx.
I have a apex dual junction probe I use on my hand held ph meter.
IMO dont skimp on a ph probe when running one to control the ph in your carx.
Using it to monitor and not control your ph is a better way to run a carx imo.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of them are too long of lasting. Even then, they drift a bit and they are not trustworthy.

I strongly suggest that you learn how to run and tune a reactor without it, then if you want to use it later, you will know what to look for and how to fix the issues. The pH probe will be the weakest link in the chain, by far.

There is a CaRx writeup in my signature if you want to read about how to tune and also how much I strongly suggest not using a pH probe or controller.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pH probe on my CaRx …. but not to tune the reactor, rather as an alert trigger. The pH reading just has to be close enough so that when my CO2 supply runs out it will trigger my 'CO2 Empty' alert.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back