Best place to buy clams?

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I’m looking for a nice maxima ultra. Never owned a clam before, but familiar with the care requirements. Looking for a really solid online vendor, good price/quality/shipping etc. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Jax15

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Phil, I’ve seen those vids also! I like that they let you pick out your specific clam. If I order from them I’ll let you know how it goes.. in case you get more space!
I’ve heard really good things about pacific East aquaculture. I saw a post from them that they’re expecting more in soon and the preview pics they posted looked pretty great. If I had room I’d pick up another! Good luck on your clam quest :)

Brass Monkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pacific East Aquaculture is the best. I’ve bought two blue crocea, two blue maxima, one rainbow maxima, and 2 noae clams from them in the last 4 months. 7 for 7, all still really healthy, no pests, no issues.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PEA is as good as it gets. Price is not a factor if the clam does not live... they are not the cheapest, but the stuff is quality. They are also not expensive. Fair and healthy.

ORA farmed/cultured clams are pretty good and easily available. You can get them at a variety of sources.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I’m looking for a nice maxima ultra. Never owned a clam before, but familiar with the care requirements. Looking for a really solid online vendor, good price/quality/shipping etc. Any suggestions?
Pacific East aquaculture just posted a ton of awesome clams. Go check ‘em out before they’re all gone! If I had room in my tank I’d pick up one of the purple and gold ones!

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK help me choose a clam. I want a clam that is hearty as this will be my first clam. I would like one that will grow huge in my naked 210 lol My parameters are below and someone can suggest one for me. Please forgive me if I am hijacking.

CA: 450
MG: 1550
DKH: 9.5
pO4: 0.06
No3: 10
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78.5 (Inkbird controlled)

After you suggest I will ask more questions

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK help me choose a clam. I want a clam that is hearty as this will be my first clam. I would like one that will grow huge in my naked 210 lol My parameters are below and someone can suggest one for me. Please forgive me if I am hijacking.

CA: 450
MG: 1550
DKH: 9.5
pO4: 0.06
No3: 10
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78.5 (Inkbird controlled)

After you suggest I will ask more questions
If you want big I’d go with a squamosa. They can get pretty massive without taking over the whole tank. I had one years ago that was probably a foot long. It was a beast!

speedieber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae barn, Austin AquaFarm, WWC, AquaSD... they should be able to accommodate...

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want big I’d go with a squamosa. They can get pretty massive without taking over the whole tank. I had one years ago that was probably a foot long. It was a beast!
Ahh yes. There is a YouTuber by the name of Scott Anderson from Mile High Reefers and he has a huge one in his tank.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not purchased from PEA asside from a frag sway many, many years ago. I have mostly gotten my clams locally or at swaps. However, I will say I just bought three from Your Reef and they were beautiful and packed well, and healthy and pest free. Larger than expected too. I also got one from ORA directly (through Liveaquaria) and it is doing great.

I recommend for a newer clam keeper a squammie or derasa. They will both grow nicely. Although, my Derasa seem to get to about 9" then blow out their foot area and die (had it happen twice).

Squammies are pretty hardy and do grow fast. My first ever went from like 2.5" to 12" in less than two years. Then a red foot conch ate it. Then the conch went in to the sump. Later, I pulled out the shell. (stupid thing ate a derasa too).

Good luck. I love clams. Just know what fish you are putting it with as many like to nip at them. Same with some inverts.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a squamosa coming thursday from PEA they had a sale going "Our Pick" Squamosa Clam Special -$190 Each" 5" or bigger ill post pictures when it arrives not sure if the sale is still happening

kyleorso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was your experience? Shipped and packaged well? Pests?
It was great. Clam is happy and doing well. I drove over to Evansville(2 hours away) and picked it up so I can't really speak for shipping, but I have seen other shipments they have shipped and it's always top notch. They are essentially my LFS. I have to go there or to St. Louis each of which is a 2 hour drive but Whitlyn hands down has the best live stock and coral I have found. I have lots of corals and fish from them and never any pest.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back