Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not RD3, I haven’t had any problems with it. It’s the 130

Keithh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned a LifeReef skimmer for over 5 years. It requires little maintenance and works very well. You may have to wait for it to be made, but can be customized to yiur needs.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a Reef Otopus Regal 200-EXT on my tank and can't say enough about how nice it is. I am sure the Royal Exclusive skimmers are nice too. I don't think you can go wrong with a Regal Internal for the price. BK if you have the money.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon FOWLR moving up to a 300 gallon mixed reef. It’s a very costly endeavor. I still need to decide on lighting and sump. But my Eshopes S200 is giving me fits here lately I can’t seem to get it adjusted properly, and keep it there. Every 3 or so days it just pukes and puts all of the skim mate back in the sump. I have cleaned it replaced the pump with a new one to just have it puke again. So I am going to buy a new skimmer I am not worried about cost but do not want to have to replace again in 2 years. I have been looking at the reef octopus, bashsea, and bubble magnus skimmers but can’t decide. I don’t know a lot about bashsea, and don’t have any friends who have used them. Please help me with information and your feedback on these three for large mixed reef tanks.

Thank you in advance.
Hello, are you saying you don't want to replace in 2 years based on skimmer longevity, or you want one now for the 90 but wanted to use it later on the 300?

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red devil 250...it skims but it is soooo hard to keep tuned. I asked when back in Oz and was recommended Deltec as the go to skimmer. once tuned they stay tuned apparently... new sump otw with compartments that will fit one

cvicente

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of good skimmers, it will go down to budget. I run a Reef Octopus Elite 200, excellent construction, performance and fairly priced.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to take a look at A&C skimmers.
I have one and so far it's the best I've used, with a more reasonable price than you would find anywhere else.

It's a handmade skimmer made in Ukranian by someone that being doing this for 20 years.
The new models he developed are made partially with 3D printed parts with novel designs, with models that can only be produced using additive production processes.

Many reefers both in Ukraine and Russia (before the war) have switched to using it and sold their pricy Bubble kings, because they found it to perform better.

You may want to read Jake Adams review on these skimmers, they are more powerful than you think, easy to maintain, and cheap even compared to the most basic and generic skimmers you'll find around.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best skimmer since 1995*. Corrected that for ya -- Lifereef.

Maybe I'm biased, but buy one, put whatever pump you want on it, and don't get suckered into the shiny acrylic tubes.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to take a look at A&C skimmers.
I have one and so far it's the best I've used, with a more reasonable price than you would find anywhere else.

It's a handmade skimmer made in Ukranian by someone that being doing this for 20 years.
The new models he developed are made partially with 3D printed parts with novel designs, with models that can only be produced using additive production processes.

Many reefers both in Ukraine and Russia (before the war) have switched to using it and sold their pricy Bubble kings, because they found it to perform better.

You may want to read Jake Adams review on these skimmers, they are more powerful than you think, easy to maintain, and cheap even compared to the most basic and generic skimmers you'll find around.
For those who want to see some visuals, that's 1800ml worth of thick, nasty skimmate pulled within the first 4 days in a system that has been running a Nyos Quantum previously.

PHOTO-2022-05-11-14-17-46.jpg

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I'm running a Simplicity and it does a great job. I've had ASM and and Aquac EV. Most big names with good reputations will get the job done, just depends on sump size, location, and how much noise they produce.

PensacolaReefKeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you veterans recommend for a HOB skimmer? I have a 40 breeder with 5 fish and a decent amount of LPS (hammer, ducan, trumpet).

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it's the one you choose to buy. Unlike lights where everybody gets fear of missing out syndrome every six months when the latest and greatest hits the market and they just have to have them. As long as it pulls gunk is all that matters.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't go wrong with Octo, my Nyos is picky but I love what it pulls out, had the 160 and now 220. Royal Exc is what I want along with a dream box :)

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus Skimmers with the VarioS DC pump gets my vote. A perfect mix of quality and performance.

Attachments

• IMG_2863.jpeg
    IMG_2863.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 101

Sonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first choice for skimmers would be Lifereef. I have had one on my 250 gallon system since 2012. Easy to adjust and it doesn't break down.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back