Best Pygmy angel?

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a Pygmy angel to my reef. I was considering the cherub or flameback since my tank is on the smaller side (33 gallons). Then I found the Fisher’s, which seems to only grow to around 2-2.5”. Does anybody have experience with any of these? My other tank mates are a pair of small clownfish and a yellow watchman goby.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for anyone who might have experience with these guys. #reefsquad

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cherub in a bc29 and he was great fish. Mind you they are a 50/50 proposition, but mine was not aggressive and did not nip at my corals, and it was a lps dominant reef. The flamebacks have a bit reports on aggression, and the fishers are found to be difficult. I bet the difficulty is likely internal parasites and difficulty in feeding; which starting with pods, live brine shrimp, and live black worms would help acclimate.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Flameback. They are listed "with caution" as far as being reef safe. I've never seen him nip at any coral. They are also listed as semi agressive, but haven't had an issue with that....my Tomini keeps him in line. :p

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in this spot about a month ago and decided on the coral beauty. They don’t seem to have issues eating corals as much as the others and with their coy nature they get along fine with my clown fish and mandarin.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me a Flame is a must have fish.

Inertiatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Cherub for nearly 2 years. He was a great fish, probably my favorite at the time. Loads of personality and I had no issues with aggression, unlike my current lemon peel half black hybrid.

Like lion king said, its 50/50 if they will nip at your corals or not. You'll hear one person say their cherub is a model citizen and another say theirs is a coral murderer. Mine never went to coral, but it did harass my crocea clam a ton.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a Pygmy angel to my reef. I was considering the cherub or flameback since my tank is on the smaller side (33 gallons). Then I found the Fisher’s, which seems to only grow to around 2-2.5”. Does anybody have experience with any of these? My other tank mates are a pair of small clownfish and a yellow watchman goby.
IME, Cherub (Atlantic Pygmy) or the White tail (Pacific Pygmy) angel are the smallest of the dwarf angels. Actually the Fisher angel get large 4+ inches (per Live Aquaria). Certainly LA is NOT the authority of these but if I am you I would do more research on size of these before buying them.
IMO, 33 gal is too small for any dwarf angel long term. Good luck

Luis1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fish is a flame back. Still have him now and will say he’s definitely a survivor

U

User1

View Badges
Second what @OrionN said. Tank size is going to push it for most pygmy angels especially when talking about Flame Angels. Even a Coral Beauty is pushing it and chances are high it will turn aggressive or start picking at everything. I'd probably pass and go for a Starcki Damsel fish. Similar price, larger damsel, but great coloring.

joshbd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 African Flameback Angels over the years, each lasted 5+ years, were outstanding citizens, and never nipped at coral. They were all around great fish. Went with a Lemon Peel Angel this time, and it's a very cool fish but I've seen it take the odd nibble at a coral now and then... However, with heavy feeding he seems to be adjusting to the new surrounding and isn't aggressive otherwise. FYI, for reference my display is about 35 gallons.

OP
OP
C

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, Cherub (Atlantic Pygmy) or the White tail (Pacific Pygmy) angel are the smallest of the dwarf angels. Actually the Fisher angel get large 4+ inches (per Live Aquaria). Certainly LA is NOT the authority of these but if I am you I would do more research on size of these before buying them.
IMO, 33 gal is too small for any dwarf angel long term. Good luck
Yeah most places I’ve seen say between 2 and 2.5” for the Fisher’ s. Not sure why LA says 4” so i don’t know what to believe. It’s hard to find info on these guys, I think they’re more rare and not as many people have them

OP
OP
C

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 African Flameback Angels over the years, each lasted 5+ years, were outstanding citizens, and never nipped at coral. They were all around great fish. Went with a Lemon Peel Angel this time, and it's a very cool fish but I've seen it take the odd nibble at a coral now and then... However, with heavy feeding he seems to be adjusting to the new surrounding and isn't aggressive otherwise. FYI, for reference my display is about 35 gallons.
How often do you feed them? I love the flameback but heard they can be more aggressive than others

OP
OP
C

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cherub in a bc29 and he was great fish. Mind you they are a 50/50 proposition, but mine was not aggressive and did not nip at my corals, and it was a lps dominant reef. The flamebacks have a bit reports on aggression, and the fishers are found to be difficult. I bet the difficulty is likely internal parasites and difficulty in feeding; which starting with pods, live brine shrimp, and live black worms would help acclimate.
Why are the Fisher’s more difficult? It’s hard to find info on them I guess they are more rare. What other tank mates did you have in your 29g and how often did you feed?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a 33g is fine for a cherub, in my bc29 he was with a blue assessor, swales swissguard basslet, tanakas possum wrasse, and a orange spotted blenny. I usually feed once a day.

Many times when you don't find alot of info on what appears to be a cool fish is because they haven't done that well in captivity. Many times I find this is because of feeding difficulties. Many times, especially with angels, they come in with internal parasites and need to be successfully treated. Some angels need to acclimated in a mature tank or rock in a qt with macro algae and pods, initially fed live black worms and live brine shrimp. And it may take a bit to get them eating dead foods.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a starcki damsel makes a great substitute for a small angel in smaller tanks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%

Back