Best salinity tester

Bbbbbbbbbbb

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2024
Messages
11
Reaction score
21
Location
uk
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any recommendations for a salinity tester, I was looking at the hanna tester or the Milwaukee MA887 seen some people say the hanna tester can be unreliable so just wondering what everyone thinks ?

​

 
VeeGee refractometer or the tropic marine glass one are the best I have found.
 
High-precision hydrometer by BRS is a really good one!
 
Another vote for Tropic Marin Precision Hydrometer,,, with 500 mL standing cylinder.

Only negatives I can think of are:
-- it's big, hence the need (IMO) for the 500 mL cylinder
-- doesn't correct for temperature but I run my tank at 77 degrees anyway so not an issue
*there are charts and online calculators for temperature correction but, as long as you're within a degree or two from 77F, the adjustment is pretty small anyway
 
Just bought a Hanna Salinity Checker and out of the box was off. Recalibrated with provided fluid and also calibrated my refractometer to 35 PPT on both. Refractometer was spot on with my current water in tank and Hanna was sitting around 30.1. Seems like a waste of $70ish bucks out of the box.
 
Hanna is a great instrument company
I do use other Hanna Checkers almost exclusively, but the salinity checker just seems to be way off the mark in terms of accuracy for me.
 
Milwaukee MA877 is great but once a month use my trust worthy tropic marine hydrometer as calibrator to verify.
 
Milwaukee for me always matches my ICP results, I have Hannah as well but it's just an expensive thermometer now
 
Another vote for the VeeGee. I've found it's extremely reliable compared to any other refractometer that I've tried and less fuss than a hydrometer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new