Best salt for mixed reef

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest factors would be correct parameters for me corals and how clean it mixes.
I'm currently using red sea coral pro, I feel like it mixes pretty dirty. When i do water changes, there's always a cloud for a bit. Especially in my QT tank.
cost is also important but I don't think other salts would be SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive.

Thanks!

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest factors would be correct parameters for me corals and how clean it mixes.
I'm currently using red sea coral pro, I feel like it mixes pretty dirty. When i do water changes, there's always a cloud for a bit. Especially in my QT tank.
cost is also important but I don't think other salts would be SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive.

Thanks!
You will probably see as many answers, as there are salts. I use IO

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what mixes the cleanest?

Why does that matter? High alk mixes generally precipitate some calcium carbonate. It’s not an indication of purity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true, but i have a haze after water changes and stuff that looks like thin mud at the bottom of my mixing brute

If the Brute water is clear (which is normal if you let any solids settle) then the haze in the tank may be stirred up detritus.

In any case, if you do not want any solids, inking a low alk mix, or lowering the alk in a high alk mix will do it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
What is the difference in parameters between your new SW and the QT? The haze might just be precipitation.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Everyone will have Their own favorite salt making answers based on liking rather than merit.
While I use tropic Marin, I also really like Salinity by seachem as well as aquaforest salt.
Based on the fact that many public aquariums used instant ocean furnishings all needed elements, I consider it a Best Buy

RubyU235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s a collection of information for different salt mixes.

Standard Alkalinity Mixes​

Fritz RPM – Reef Pro Mix
Fritz RPM – Reef Pro Mix is manufactured using only the highest quality raw materials. Formulated by researchers and marine scientists, RPM contains all of the necessary major and minor elements of natural sea water that are utilized by living marine and reef animals. Correct pH and buffering capacity, essential minerals and trace elements have been added in precise ratios to ensure a correctly blended mix for the health and longevity of your livestock.

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)| Ca: 400-450 ppm| Mg: 1300-1400 pp|Alkalinity: 8.0-9.0 dKH
RPM_Reef_Pro_Mix_SeaSalt_Box-edited.png

Red Sea Salt
Red Sea Salt contains moderately elevated and balanced levels of the foundation elements (Calcium, Magnesium, Bicarbonates) necessary for sustainable coral growth.

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)| Ca: 430 ppm| Mg: 1290 ppm|Alkalinity: 8.0 dKH
Red-Sea-Salt.png

Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine Salt Mix
Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine Salt providing all major elements, minor and trace elements, and elements known to be in natural seawater. The N?oMarine Salt creates a marine environment so chemically-similar to natural seawater it would be hard to tell any difference between water prepared with N?oMarine and filtered natural seawater from tropical reef waters.

134 g per 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of purified water yields a specific gravity of ~1.025 g/cm3, with a pH of ~8.30 and alkalinity of ~7.5 dKH.

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.025 sg)| Ca: 413 mg/l| Mg: 1290 mg/l|Alkalinity 7.5 dKH.
brightwell_neomarine_salt_150_gal.png
Two Little Fishies AccuraSea®1
AccuraSea1 is formulated to simulate natural seawater, and it’s packaged as a plurality of precisely weighed packs. The advantages of this packing are many: You can mix up a batch without ever having to check the salinity. No more back and forth adding salt, mixing, waiting, testing and adjusting until you get it right. Simply put a measured volume of water in the mixing bucket or vat, add the contents of one or more packs depending on the water volume, and you have a precise natural seawater blend.

Fast dissolving. At a salinity of S = 35, AccuraSea1 produces the following target parameters: calcium 420 mg/l, magnesium 1300 mg/l, strontium 8 mg/l, potassium 400 mg/l, Alkalinity 8 dKH.

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)| Ca: 420 mg/l| Mg: 1300 mg/l|Alkalinity 8 dKH.
Two-Little-Fishies-Accurasea1.jpg

High Alkalinity Formula​

Fritz Reef Pro High Alk
Fritz Reef Pro Mix (RPM) High Alkalinity Formulais manufactured using only the highest quality raw materials. RPM High Alkalinity Formula contains all of the necessary major and minor elements of natural sea water that are utilized by living marine and reef animals along with enhanced alkalinity. Increased alkalinity has been shown to increase the growth of SPS.

Salinity 35 ppt | Ca 400-450 ppm|Mg 1300-1400 ppm|Alkalinity 10 – 11.5dkh
Fritz_RPM_Salt_RED_Box-1-edited.png
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
Red Sea Coral Pro mix contains elevated and balanced levels of the foundation elements (Calcium, Magnesium, Bicarbonates) necessary for sustainable, accelerated coral growth.

If your goal is to maximize coral growth, then Coral Pro combined with our reef care recipes will enhance growth up to four times their natural rate. Coral Pro’s Alkalinity of 12 dKH makes it ideal for mixed reefs and SPS frag tanks.

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)| Ca: 465 ppm| Mg: 1390 ppm|Alkalinity: 12.0 dKH
coral-pro-salt-image-4-1.png

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Instant Ocean is a legacy aquarium product found at most local fish stores. This salt mix is neither the best nor the worst, more of the middle of the road type mix. They offer a basic sea salt variety and reef crystal variety formulated for reef aquariums. This high alkalinity mixture tests between 9.5-13 DKh depending on the water temperature. It is important to always mix your salt as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Test your new water batch before adding to the tank to prevent any unwanted parameter swings.
instant-Ocean-Reef-Crystals.jpg

Instant Ocean

Sea Salt Mix - Instant Ocean

Dosing Formula
D-D H2Ocean Dosing Formula
D-D The Aquarium Solution has added a second formulation to its popular H2Ocean salt brand. H2Ocean Dosing Formula is designed for reef aquariums that don’t need a salt with elevated levels because they already maintain KH and Calcium via dosing or a Calcium reactor.

This means that those who already dose 2-part, use kalkwasser, a calcium reactor or other similar dosing regimes can conduct a water change with D-D’s new salt without experiencing a spike in their KH or Calcium levels.

H2Ocean-Dosing-Formula-600px.png

From BRS
Pro Reef Salt Mix - Tropic Marin
Pro-Reef Boxed Salt

Product Description

Tropic Marin's Pro-Reef is the ideal foundation for any new tank from fish only to a full-blown reef tank. When used as your regular salt mix it will help bring better ionic equilibrium to the tank, stabilizing pH and allowing the proper balance of carbonates to bicarbonates, leading to faster overall coral growth. Designed to meet the strict requirements of reef aquariums, Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt mix contains optimized levels of calcium and magnesium while keeping the correct pH value and a balance of all 70 trace elements required by corals to grow and thrive.

Features
  • Incredibly pure; mixes fast & clear
  • Helps stabilize pH
  • Made from pharmaceutical-grade materials
  • Suitable for systems using a calcium reactor
  • Optimizes calcium & magnesium
  • Contains all major and minor elements
  • Perfect for fish only or coral reef aquariums
  • Free of unwanted nitrates or phosphates

Parameters (approx)
Alkalinity - 7
Calcium - 440 ppm
Magnesium - 1350 ppm

HW-MARINEMIX REEFER SALT MIX 160 GALLONS - HW WIEGANDT
HW-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix 160 Gallons - HW Wiegandt
Calcium at 445-450 ppm, Alk of 9.0 dKH, Magnesium at 1380 ppm.

Aquaforest Reef Salt
Reef Salt Mix - Aquaforest

Tropic Marin Classic
Classic Sea Salt Mix - bucket

Alkalinity - 9-10 dKH (approx)
Calcium - 380 ppm (approx)
Magnesium - 1260 ppm (approx)

Tropic Marin Bio-Actif (for ULNS)

Bio-Actif Salt- 200 gallon bucket

Aquaforest Reef Mineral Salt (Balling Method)
Reef Mineral Salt - Aquaforest

Tropic Marin Syn-Biotic
Syn-Biotic Sea Salt Mix - 200 gallon bucket

• Alkalinity: 8-9 dKH
  • Calcium: 430-450
  • Magnesium: 1300-1350
ESV B-Ionic
1655788344190.jpeg

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
Choose the parameters you like to maintain and use the salt that matches.

If price is important (because you plan on lots of water changes), pick the cheapest and use those parameters.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s a collection of information for different salt mixes.

Standard Alkalinity Mixes​

Fritz RPM – Reef Pro Mix
Fritz RPM – Reef Pro Mix is manufactured using only the highest quality raw materials. Formulated by researchers and marine scientists, RPM contains all of the necessary major and minor elements of natural sea water that are utilized by living marine and reef animals. Correct pH and buffering capacity, essential minerals and trace elements have been added in precise ratios to ensure a correctly blended mix for the health and longevity of your livestock.

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)| Ca: 400-450 ppm| Mg: 1300-1400 pp|Alkalinity: 8.0-9.0 dKH
RPM_Reef_Pro_Mix_SeaSalt_Box-edited.png

Red Sea Salt
Red Sea Salt contains moderately elevated and balanced levels of the foundation elements (Calcium, Magnesium, Bicarbonates) necessary for sustainable coral growth.

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)| Ca: 430 ppm| Mg: 1290 ppm|Alkalinity: 8.0 dKH
Red-Sea-Salt.png

Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine Salt Mix
Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine Salt providing all major elements, minor and trace elements, and elements known to be in natural seawater. The N?oMarine Salt creates a marine environment so chemically-similar to natural seawater it would be hard to tell any difference between water prepared with N?oMarine and filtered natural seawater from tropical reef waters.

134 g per 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of purified water yields a specific gravity of ~1.025 g/cm3, with a pH of ~8.30 and alkalinity of ~7.5 dKH.

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.025 sg)| Ca: 413 mg/l| Mg: 1290 mg/l|Alkalinity 7.5 dKH.
brightwell_neomarine_salt_150_gal.png
Two Little Fishies AccuraSea®1
AccuraSea1 is formulated to simulate natural seawater, and it’s packaged as a plurality of precisely weighed packs. The advantages of this packing are many: You can mix up a batch without ever having to check the salinity. No more back and forth adding salt, mixing, waiting, testing and adjusting until you get it right. Simply put a measured volume of water in the mixing bucket or vat, add the contents of one or more packs depending on the water volume, and you have a precise natural seawater blend.

Fast dissolving. At a salinity of S = 35, AccuraSea1 produces the following target parameters: calcium 420 mg/l, magnesium 1300 mg/l, strontium 8 mg/l, potassium 400 mg/l, Alkalinity 8 dKH.

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)| Ca: 420 mg/l| Mg: 1300 mg/l|Alkalinity 8 dKH.
Two-Little-Fishies-Accurasea1.jpg

High Alkalinity Formula​

Fritz Reef Pro High Alk
Fritz Reef Pro Mix (RPM) High Alkalinity Formulais manufactured using only the highest quality raw materials. RPM High Alkalinity Formula contains all of the necessary major and minor elements of natural sea water that are utilized by living marine and reef animals along with enhanced alkalinity. Increased alkalinity has been shown to increase the growth of SPS.

Salinity 35 ppt | Ca 400-450 ppm|Mg 1300-1400 ppm|Alkalinity 10 – 11.5dkh
Fritz_RPM_Salt_RED_Box-1-edited.png
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
Red Sea Coral Pro mix contains elevated and balanced levels of the foundation elements (Calcium, Magnesium, Bicarbonates) necessary for sustainable, accelerated coral growth.

If your goal is to maximize coral growth, then Coral Pro combined with our reef care recipes will enhance growth up to four times their natural rate. Coral Pro’s Alkalinity of 12 dKH makes it ideal for mixed reefs and SPS frag tanks.

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)| Ca: 465 ppm| Mg: 1390 ppm|Alkalinity: 12.0 dKH
coral-pro-salt-image-4-1.png

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Instant Ocean is a legacy aquarium product found at most local fish stores. This salt mix is neither the best nor the worst, more of the middle of the road type mix. They offer a basic sea salt variety and reef crystal variety formulated for reef aquariums. This high alkalinity mixture tests between 9.5-13 DKh depending on the water temperature. It is important to always mix your salt as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Test your new water batch before adding to the tank to prevent any unwanted parameter swings.
instant-Ocean-Reef-Crystals.jpg

Dosing Formula​

D-D H2Ocean Dosing Formula
D-D The Aquarium Solution has added a second formulation to its popular H2Ocean salt brand. H2Ocean Dosing Formula is designed for reef aquariums that don’t need a salt with elevated levels because they already maintain KH and Calcium via dosing or a Calcium reactor.

This means that those who already dose 2-part, use kalkwasser, a calcium reactor or other similar dosing regimes can conduct a water change with D-D’s new salt without experiencing a spike in their KH or Calcium levels.

H2Ocean-Dosing-Formula-600px.png
Nice roundup.

You should probably add how much salt is required to make 1 gal of 35ppt water, as that varies significantly between brands. Some brands understate on their packaging the amount needed in practice.

Tmtdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Tropic Marin until my tank crashed and I lost a lot of high end rare corals. I was not aware of the recall from a specific plant where my salt was made. It really took the wind out of my sails. Now I just use basics Reef Crystals after doing a complete overhaul. The parameters are stable and remaining corals are flourishing. I may switch one day again but for now I’m going to keep with the basics. Reef Crystals mixes well and for the price it’s working above my expectations.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PPsalt.gif

Just get IO original - 40ish$ per box, available everywhere & works just as well as the 100$/bucket salts I used to buy. The higher-end coral specific salts will precipitate (how 'clean' it is) much of that excess calcium/alk away in storage anyways.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back