Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a coincidence but after working at a place that used a lot of them I've seen more trouble with Ranco's and Titanium heaters than with Jagers and Visitherms combined.

FWIW I use all Visitherm - for the last few years I've had them on a Reefkeeper.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to love the green Ebo Jagers. Eheim's iteration is only a shadow of the original. I have a 200w Visi Therm that I got free in a bucket of salt in 1997. It was in a sump for about three years and then used for salt mixing to this day. I can't believe the beating that thing has taken.

I have a few Cobalt heaters in operation currently. They seem to work but I am always a little leary of plastic.

Rockinreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use Finnex 300 Watt Electronic Titanium Heater
giphy-gif.251401

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my eheim heater. I recently had an issue with one and eheim sent me a replacement and covered all expenses on getting the new one out to me which I was super impressed with so I would definitely get another in the future if needed.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Jagger heaters. I have not have any issue with them yet.

reefsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fear is just the apex breaking and staying on with a titanium heater

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with two of those for a 65. I prefer two lower power heaters like the 150's to a single 300. If one fails in the on position it will be less likely to cook the tank and you have a backup to hold the fort till you get a replacement.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dozens of heaters as I ran a good-sized SW breeding operation for some years. My business morphed into aquarium maintenance instead, so I kept the heaters for backups. They are all a mix of Eheim Jager, Ebo Jager, and VisiTherm. They are various ages - most of them over 5 years. Every once in awhile one dies. They are cheap enough that having a spare and replacing one every once in awhile is not a concern.

On my own tank I keep two heaters. Neither on it's own is enough heat the tank (in case one gets stuck in the ON position), but one is enough to keep the tank around 73-74. I don't use any controllers, as I've seen as many tanks crash from failed controllers as not. I check the temperature of the tank every time I empty the skimmer, and if it's down then I know a heater died. I also make a habit of glancing at the heater indicator lights and keep in mind if I'm always seeing one on to check that it does indeed go off as well. IME, a failed heater that is not working is not very likely to crash a tank, but a failed heater that fails to turn off can easily cook a tank (happened to me in the 90s twice before I learned about creative redundancy).

Honestly, I'm way more reliable than any controller on the market, and I think people need to make more good maintenance habits, and less reliance on electronics to avoid issues. 9 times out of 10, sudden tank crashes are avoidable by redundancy and increased physical monitoring (and I don't mean just a glance at a controller haha). I've learned to never put both heaters on the same controller either. ;)

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't tired any other heater except for the cobalt neo therm heaters....i like the slim look and that they are almost indestructible

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a few. My go to choice is eheim jäger. The only UL listed heaters available

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the eheim Jager heaters. they have served my fish tank well. No complain.

rogerrgr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Finnex Titanium heaters, 2 of them in my sump. They are both hooked to a Ranco temperature controller that is hooked to my Apex.
Here is my Ranco setup:

kuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love cobalt!! No temp swinging,no moving parts and lastly the ARGENT 3 year warranty .

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass jager heaters. Multiple to make up the size and set heater controller higher (80) and Apex at lower temp (78). Too many heater failures no matter the one you choose!

petro2342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Fluval E200 (rated up to 65g) on my 29g reef for 4+ years. Built in thermometer. Easy to adjust. 5 year warranty. NO complaints.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back