Best SILENT filter with skimmer?

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My sister is coming to town for Christmas and unfortunately must sleep in the fish room. I downsized to two aquariums (1 reef 1 fresh) but my reef filter is so, so ungodly loud, especially when the water level is low.
Any suggestions for a canister or even HOB filter that is totally or almost totally silent? I need a protein skimmer on it too.
20 gallon tall, but I would prefer a filter for at least a 30 gallon for safety.
Thanks guys!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

A few thoughts. Which filter do you have now? Maybe someone has experience with it and how to quiet it down.

Are you going to add this new filter in so it has time to build up bacteria when you take the current one offline? If you’re just planning on setting it up while she is there it will not be much use except for mechanical filtration and water movement. Depending on the set up is it possible to kill the filters at night? Definitely need major flow in a 20 tall to keep O2 up. Then just switch it back on in am

The skimmer I would not be overly concerned for a few days.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

A few thoughts. Which filter do you have now? Maybe someone has experience with it and how to quiet it down.

Are you going to add this new filter in so it has time to build up bacteria when you take the current one offline? If you’re just planning on setting it up while she is there it will not be much use except for mechanical filtration and water movement. Depending on the set up is it possible to kill the filters at night? Definitely need major flow in a 20 tall to keep O2 up. Then just switch it back on in am

The skimmer I would not be overly concerned for a few days.

Hi, thanks for your help! To be totally honest with you, I’m not positive what filter I have now. Not a great or super popular one, but it gets the job done.
Additionally, I would be really hesitant to turn off the filter at night— too much delicate stuff in there! My sister is going to be here for over three weeks unfortunately, so the new filter is kind of necessary. She would probably turn them all off without telling me if one was too loud. Luckily I have about a month until she comes home.
Do you have any suggestions for something quiet?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good brother, 3 weeks :)

You looking for hob or canister? Either way I would suggest getting it up and running so you are not hit with any surprises and have time to get it seeded.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good brother, 3 weeks :)

You looking for hob or canister? Either way I would suggest getting it up and running so you are not hit with any surprises and have time to get it seeded.

Either would be fine by me! In my experience, hob filters tend to be a little louder though. The one I have now rattles and whirs like it’s about to explode lol. My 2005 Camry makes less noise.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim canisters are super silent. Would work well for your needs for the time being.

Also totally unrelated but your betta in your profile pic is such a handsome fellow.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim canisters are super silent. Would work well for your needs for the time being.

Also totally unrelated but your betta in your profile pic is such a handsome fellow.

Thank you sooooo much! And that bettas name is Cheddar! He’s an overhalfoon Nemo koi. Blue eyes too :)

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s absolutely psychotic so I don’t want to risk it.... she WILL kill my fish, and me afterwards if it annoys her
LOL! :D I have a SunSun canister filter that I used on an old tank. I keep it around in case of emergencies. I keep some bio rings in my sump as well, in case I need to use the canister filter. But it was pretty quiet. I think I got it off of Amazon.

Zip233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How exactly does the tubing work? Do you need a special tank that has built in attachments for the canister tubing or is there tubing that you just stick in the tank from the top?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly does the tubing work? Do you need a special tank that has built in attachments for the canister tubing or is there tubing that you just stick in the tank from the top?
Canisters should have the tubing included as well as the intake/ outflow pipes. The canister should sit on the floor under or beside the tank stand. Then you measure and cut the tubing, which will hook up to the fittings on the canister and onto the intake and outflow pipes. Of course you’ll want to have those hanging on the tank where you’ll have them placed just to help get accurate measurements. It isn’t as exact as plumbing a sump, and you can actually cut the tubing a little longer just in case you’ll be moving the canister.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back