Best Value on Aquacultured Rock and Sand for a Nano Right Now + A Mantis too boot?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I didn't know where to post this, so Mods please move if needed, but I am interested in ordering a small quantity (like, 3-8 lbs each) of some aquacultured live rock and sand, and I'm asking for recommendations for the "best value".

For years, I have known about Tampa Bay Saltwater, and I only recently learned of their small "Treasure Chests". I also see where they sell Mantes as well. I am really interested in ordering a small amount of both some aquacultured rock and sand, and a Mantis, if possible.

Is Tampa Bay Saltwater my best bet for this, or are there other places offering a better value or a better deal on aquacultured live rock and sand, even if I have to order the Mantis separately?

Thanks so much for yor help!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like they may meet your specific needs. You should give them a call.
Thank you! I did reach out to TBS by email, and I would be thrilled to use them. But before I pull the trigger, I just wanted to ask if there's anywhere else I should be looking.

Thanks again!

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBS, KP Aquatics & Gulf Live Rock are 3 of the main players within the U.S.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pricey but really good. Best bet unless you can find someone with established old Fiji/Tonga/Marshall Islands rocks willing to part with some.

I can't quantify the benefits of gulf live rock, all I can say is my 100% TBS nano tank brought me great joy while my CaribSea "Life" rock nano tank brought me great pain (some joy, but at the cost of great pain).

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBS, KP Aquatics & Gulf Live Rock are 3 of the main players within the U.S.
Thank you! It was KP and Gulf Live Rock that I couldn't remember. But it seems that TBS generally gets the slight nod, so might as well use them. I reached out the them to see if they can include a Mantis with one of their Treasure CHest packages. I really don't see why they can't since Mantes are well-known hitchhikers that come on rock routinely, but I'll see what they say.

I am planning another tank that I am planning on starting with dry rock, but I have always been interested in the Aquacultured stuff, and these small Treasure Chests are a good size for me. I'm excited to see what comes out of the aquacultured rock and sand.

Thanks everyone for your help!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
..$85 shipping though.. seems crazy . I know the box with water weighs like 20 lbs but it makes you wonder how some fish places are able to offer free shipping at 249. If you ordered 3 larger 3"-4" tangs id imagine the box would weigh 10-15lbs . I mean we all used fiji rock in the day and that was shipped in wet paper and god only knows how long on a boat . I guess people buy it for different reasons now, i dont care how much macroalgae or corals that i dont want come along as hitchhikers , give me the bacteria biodiversity.! i mean obviously shipped in water will give you the least amount of die off and i get that but dang.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..$85 shipping though.. seems crazy . I know the box with water weighs like 20 lbs but it makes you wonder how some fish places are able to offer free shipping at 249. If you ordered 3 larger 3"-4" tangs id imagine the box would weigh 10-15lbs . I mean we all used fiji rock in the day and that was shipped in wet paper and god only knows how long on a boat . I guess people buy it for different reasons now, i dont care how much macroalgae or corals that i dont want come along as hitchhikers , give me the bacteria biodiversity.! i mean obviously shipped in water will give you the least amount of die off and i get that but dang.
I am 100% with you, I think the shipping is very expensive, even considering what they are doing. Add to that $85 another $12 box charge and Florida sales tax and the little $40 Pico Treasure Chests costs just short of $150 delivered.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think TBS is the only place you can get that small an order of rock.

I just priced 10 lbs starter rock from KP and my cart had $131. I think UPS shipping WAS included. KP looked like it was out of premium rock.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think TBS is the only place you can get that small an order of rock.

I just priced 10 lbs starter rock from KP and my cart had $131. I think UPS shipping WAS included. KP looked like it was out of premium rock.
Hmmm, that's not really a bad price if the shipping is included. TBS wants $86 plus a $12 box charge to ship one of these small packages by UPS to your door. Air freight is available and less expensive, but not without its hassels.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back