Best way to do GFO in a AIO?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been struggling with high phosphates and currently have a refugium to help reduce my nutrients in general. I recently added BRS GFO to combat the phosphates. Is using it in the media bag fine? Or would it be better to use it in a reactor? If for a reactor, what would be a good reactor for a 25 gallon AIO?

Also, this isn't just to reach a desired number. My phosphates are consistently above 0.1 and I'm currently combating bryopsis.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ideal target for phosphate is less than around 0.03 to avoid many issues

You can use GFO in a bag but it’s far more effective used in a reactor. Personally I use rowaphos in both my tanks

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ideal target for phosphate is less than around 0.03 to avoid many issues

You can use GFO in a bag but it’s far more effective used in a reactor. Personally I use rowaphos in both my tanks
My phosphate was holding lower at 0.08 recently. But it’s jumped up to 2.0 again. I suspect that’s more so because of some of the bryopsis dying from the fluconazole

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't go with a reactor, you can opt for an Intank Media basket and add the GFO to a media bag and place into one of the chambers.
That’s what I have currently. Just wondering if that is effective enough, or if a reactor is far more efficient

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just having the overflow pass water over the bagged media worked well for me. Easy to replace when it needs replacing and easy to remove.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using GFO in a media bag in a basket for several weeks. My phosphates are finally down. Now I've taken the GFO bag out and I'm wondering what to do with it.

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going thru the same process for my nano MP25, for what is worth. Hair algae had accumulated (9 months old tank), and had quite high phosphates regularly (.5+). Lost a few corals because of it. I attributed it to the high phosphates in the food and dry rock (as found out). So needed a solution and researched quite a bit. I used the GFO in bags in the 1st chamber (along with chemipure elite), but would become with clogged with fine debris and slow the water flow. This would cause the ATO to kick in when not required (flooded the tank cabinet not too long ago). Wasnt happy. I ended up rinsing the bags quite often to keep up the flow. More work than I wanted. Didnt really help the phosphates much. Just treated with a few drops Phosphate RX and then added the 2 littles fishes reactor with 2 little fishes phosphate media . Phosphates back to acceptable values (.05) and have improved flow. Think more manageable too. I dont like add ons for the back side, but seems to be working much more effectively. I already had a small pump pushing water into a fan chiller, so wasnt that much more to add the reactor. Will see if continues to help out in the future. Hope helps a touch.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going thru the same process for my nano MP25, for what is worth. Hair algae had accumulated (9 months old tank), and had quite high phosphates regularly (.5+). Lost a few corals because of it. I attributed it to the high phosphates in the food and dry rock (as found out). So needed a solution and researched quite a bit. I used the GFO in bags in the 1st chamber (along with chemipure elite), but would become with clogged with fine debris and slow the water flow. This would cause the ATO to kick in when not required (flooded the tank cabinet not too long ago). Wasnt happy. I ended up rinsing the bags quite often to keep up the flow. More work than I wanted. Didnt really help the phosphates much. Just treated with a few drops Phosphate RX and then added the 2 littles fishes reactor with 2 little fishes phosphate media . Phosphates back to acceptable values (.05) and have improved flow. Think more manageable too. I dont like add ons for the back side, but seems to be working much more effectively. I already had a small pump pushing water into a fan chiller, so wasnt that much more to add the reactor. Will see if continues to help out in the future. Hope helps a touch.
I would recommend a mechanical filter medium before the bagged GFO in the AIO. I found that two of the cylinder sponges fit nicely in my 2nd chamber (heater is in the 1st). The 3rd chamber contains 3 baskets. 1st basket holds two bags (carbon, GFO) 2nd and 3rd baskets both contain biological media, 4th has the return pump.

b breef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was effective when I had the GFO in the media bag in the basket
Seems like, on avg., I could reduce phosphate about 2-3 times quicker in a reactor in my 20g nano vs using just a basket. Of course there are many many variables.

MJBraden9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just threw a sicca syncra 1.5 in the back chamber literally sitting on top my main pumps and ran it to an external aquamax reactor, worked wonders.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like, on avg., I could reduce phosphate about 2-3 times quicker in a reactor in my 20g nano vs using just a basket. Of course there are many many variables.
You want to be careful reducing phosphate too fast. It can shock your system. Add half the recommended amount and test in a week. Add an additional fourth of the recommended amount GFO if you see no reduction. If you see ANY reduction leave it alone for at least another week. GFO can bottom out your phosphate fast, and nothing good happens fast in your small tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back