Best way to eliminate/reduce disease when adding inverts without quarantine?

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I do to best eliminate or reduce the chance of introducing disease when adding inverts and CUC to my tank?

I cycled and added 3 fish from TSMAquatics (2 clownfish and one purple fire fish) to my 55 gallon and now about 2 months later am adding a CUC.

Just ordered the 55 gallon pack from ReefCleaners plus a pistol shrimp and a cleaner shrimp.

I know ideally I should quarantine but I’m not set up to do that right now.

Do I look into “rinsing” them? Or just hope that ReefCleaners sells healthy CUC stock?

938565DF-FA7E-4417-9D45-8C513761706A.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't really a way to guarentee it outside of QT. With snails or crabs, I scrub their shells, sometimes with a little bit of peroxide (very carefully).

PS Do you have a par meter? Those lights look quite close to the water so be careful with hotspots

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef cleaners doesn’t keep fish in his system.. however he collects stuff fresh from the ocean so there is going to be some risk. I don’t think a rinse is a bad idea but it certainly won’t eliminate the possibility. Often snails have water tight in their shells.

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't really a way to guarentee it outside of QT. With snails or crabs, I scrub their shells, sometimes with a little bit of peroxide (very carefully).

PS Do you have a par meter? Those lights look quite close to the water so be careful with hotspots
Thanks! The CUC pack come with a HUGE amount of tiny snails so I don’t think scrubbing them (at least the tiny ones) is possible.

I feel like I’ve heard of doing a freshwater dip but can’t seem to find that post.

and thanks for the tip on the lights and PAR. I’ve got only one of them running temporarily while I look for a better lighting option.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish are hardy and disease resistant, plus your tank is a nano.

The chances of getting disease on an invert is low (most are brought from sick fish), and removal and treatment for your fish can easily be accomplished in a 10 gallon QT.

I say add the inverts to the tank without QT. QT is of course recommended, but the larger the tank and the harder the fish are to remove, the more valuable QT is as a preventative.

In your case, the effort of QT just isn’t worth it since the chances of disease is very low and treating is relatively straightforward with a nano.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would certainly add a screen lid to the tank because the fire fish will jump.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back