Best way to reduce just phosphate.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Phosphate is getting out of hand. All my other parameters are in check but my po4 is continuously high. My hanna checker blinks 200 at me meaning it is over 0.62. I have dosed large amounts of Brightwell Phosphate E and it will drop it some but then it raises back up. My sps are doing well but my growth has dropped right off. My nitrate is in a good pace at 15ppm and holds there.

I dont really have an export for po4. I run a skimmer 24/7. I have an algae reactor that i have neglected for months. I am adding a full 30g fuge soon. I do monthly water changes (60g of 220g system).

I need to get just phosphate down as everything else is in check. id rather not keep dumping Phosphate E in but that is what seems to drop just phosphate.

What else can i do to reduce po4? Either as a treatment or as a routine thing?
PXL_20201114_001000789.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20201114_000922803.NIGHT.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, figure out the source of all that phosphate. After that, I'd get that algae reactor back up and running. I prefer the natural methods vs chemicals when possible. Another option would be a GFO reactor, but you have to be careful that you don't strip it out too fast.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for a chemical method, I've used this before with good results:

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for a chemical method, I've used this before with good results:

Second sentence of their post states they've been using this. :rolleyes:

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I was struggling with the same thing and could not for the life of me figure out where it was coming from. Turns out the TDS meter reading 0 on my RODI was a lie. Every water change just added more PO4. Every time the ATO fired off, more PO4 added. Nothing more than a PSA, but it's worth checking on your end.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are corals suffering? Looked fine in the pics. What are you feeding?

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with dosing lanthanum chloride, your lanthanum levels will rapidly escalate and you will risk losing your SPS. Your tank looks pretty good for phosphate levels of over 0.5ppm. What types of food are you feeding?

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I was struggling with the same thing and could not for the life of me figure out where it was coming from. Turns out the TDS meter reading 0 on my RODI was a lie. Every water change just added more PO4. Every time the ATO fired off, more PO4 added. Nothing more than a PSA, but it's worth checking on your end.
TDS = Total dissolved solids, really doesn't tell you much about the purity of your water. You are right though, the OP should check his levels in his ATO water.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the looks of those corals, you should be telling everyone else what to do.

That said, your algae scrubber and fuge will reduce phosphate, but it will take an awful long time. I would use GFO in a reactor, but use very small amounts and go slowly. LC will precipitate the phosphate right out, but you should drip it really slowly into a filter sock.

The reason the P will drop and raise back up is because the rock and sand are full of phosphate and will leach back out as the level in the water decreases. You just need to keep at it.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are good but lately I have had a couple colonies STN from the base and my growth has just about stopped since the PO4 has raised. Ive done GFO and Lanthanum Chloride. I just worry about lanthanum chloride build up with the amount I am dosing. I am hoping the 30gallon fuge will take out some nutrients but my experience is that they take out nitrate more than phosphate.

i didnt like GFO because it was getting expensive with the amount and frequency i was changing it out. I prefer a more natural approach.

The source is most likely feeding. I feed heavily as I have a lot of large mature fish. They get pellets 1x a day and i feed homemade frozen food every other day. (approximately 3-4 cubes). All the food gets eaten within a minute. Nothing is left rotting away.

I lowered my feeding a year ago from frozen everyday to every other. Since then, my nitrates have come down but my phosphate has continued to climb!

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I dose Lanthum Chloride and get PO4 down to around .20. Then it climbs back up in 2 months. Dumping all this lanthanum Chloride in ever 2 months seems like a problem waiting to happen.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using LC and lost several SPS colonies. I did an ICP test and my lanthanum levels were sky high. I was using the same product as you mentioned.

I am using an algae scrubber and a large cheato fuge to keep my levels very low. I can feed as much as I want now and N&P stay low.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank looks great, screw the number, I’d do nothing.
Many great tanks can run on high phosphate.
Great colour, what is it you would like to improve?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe run GFO till she drops by half, then pull.
Fuge is a great idea but it must be “dialed in” as well, however once set should lower and stabilize that nutrient.

Very nice tank, yes, I am jealous

Well done, or sorry, IMO, well done.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back