Best & Worst "Reef Safe" Angelfish for Your Reef

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

  • YES and it's going good

    Votes: 264 43.1%
  • YES but it's not working out

    Votes: 18 2.9%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

    Votes: 53 8.7%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

    Votes: 255 41.7%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 22 3.6%

  • Total voters
    612
Had a coral beauty for a year with no problem, then one day she nipped way too much expensive stuff over the course of a couple of days trying to figure out what happened. So she's in sump jail
 
I have a female Bellus Angel that I've had for 2 1/2 years. After being a model citizen, she recently got a taste for my Devil's Armour palys. She has not bothered any other corals including other zoas, palys. So far she seems to be interested in one area of the DAs. Other patches of it are unmolested so far.
 
I have a Coral Beauty in my tank and I have not noticed it bothering any corals. I did try a LemonPeel angel who within 15 minutes of being released in the thank, ate 3 corals.
 
I have a tank bred Majestic Angel and he doesn’t touch corals probably because he doesn’t know what they are as he didn’t grow up with them. I also have a Red Sea Regal Angel who only touched acans so I don’t buy acans anymore as he is my favourite fish
 
I have a tank bred Majestic Angel and he doesn’t touch corals probably because he doesn’t know what they are as he didn’t grow up with them. I also have a Red Sea Regal Angel who only touched acans so I don’t buy acans anymore as he is my favourite fish
How is the temperament of the captive bred majestic? Did you get it from biota?
 
My tank bred Majestic
 

Attachments

  • B515D9B7-BAB0-4BFD-A3A6-B8A92A0945AD.png
    B515D9B7-BAB0-4BFD-A3A6-B8A92A0945AD.png
    803.9 KB · Views: 159
How is the temperament of the captive bred majestic? Did you get it from biota?
He doesn’t bother a thing. I’m from Wales in the UK and my local fish shop got him from TMC the main supplier over here. He was about $150
 
He doesn’t bother a thing. I’m from Wales in the UK and my local fish shop got him from TMC the main supplier over here. He was about $150
That’s a pretty good price, I want a captive bred one too :(
 
That’s a pretty good price, I want a captive bred one too :(
You can get non captive bred ones of the same size for about $100 but I thought it was worth the extra for a captive bred one for obvious reasons. The more species we can captive bred the better
 
In my old reefs and fowlr I kept a variety of angels.

Flagfin - only ate zoas
Regal - 3 only ate zoas, 1 was perfect
Koran - ate any softy/lps
Emperor - ate zoas/xenia
Flame - 1 was perfect, 1 ate gorgonians
Coral beauty - all have been perfect
Nox - ate montiporas
Rusty - perfect
Potter's- perfect
Lemonpeel - ate zoas/sps
Bicolor - perfect
Multibar - perfect
Lamarcks - perfect
Blue - ate everything
Grey Poma - ate zoas
Bellus - perfect
Passer - ate everything
Asfur - ate zoas/ricordeas
 
Last edited:
i had a majestic angel in a 300 reef tank. didnt go well. had to move it after like 2 days
 
Watanabe Angel is a wonderful/safe inhabitant in my reef and beautiful to boot. She's a bit bossy with wrasse but otherwise leaves corals and inverts alone. Just make sure to get one that is properly acclimated.
 
I have a Genecanthus melanospilos -
0A5684F9-66FF-4717-883B-AD79D9433388.jpeg

image.jpg

I would also love to bring his pattern back because at the moment it’s almost a random type of checkerboard at the top and bottom of him
I’d say that ‘he’ is reverting back to ‘she’ … without a smaller female in the tank a male may lose its colors and go back to female.
 
I’d say that ‘he’ is reverting back to ‘she’ … without a smaller female in the tank a male may lose its colors and go back to female.
Yeah, I realise that it’s just how I have not room for another large fish (I have my last 3 fish planned as wrasse)
It’s odd because he has stayed with those colours for the past year
 
I have a female bellus in my mixed reef and she's been a perfect angel (haha) so far, though I've only had her for a couple months, so no guarantee it'll stay that way, but so far so good!
 
About 4 months and she’s about and inch and half. She bothers nothing and if she decides to she’ll have her work cut out with my Kole tang and bossy clown pair :)
 
I have a Majestic angel, a Potters angel, a Coral Beauty and a bicolored angel.

The Potters and Coral Beauty at one point were really going at each other (details on my build thread) but now tolerate each other with occasional chasing. None of the four have ever (as far as I've seen) nipped at any coral.

But all four are in a large tank so that makes a big difference...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new