Bi color Angel owners?

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Bi color Angel for $25. Almost 3". I did minimal reading before and have since seen that people say its not an easy dwarf angel to keep. That it is not a hardy fish. Would like to hear fron others about this. I actually bought an Bi color and a Flame Angel together. They were kept together. The Flame seems more timid than the bi color. I put them in what the heck my Coral Beauty. They was some initial aggression but so far they are leaving each other alone..

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
years ago I kept a Bi and it was not a concern - hardy as any other - though it seems I have heard folks say are on the bad side of the bell shaped curve of picking on corals
do wonder about how big a tank you will need for the 3 of those fish - and need to be concerned about the underlying stress

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf and not
Attempt #2
IMG_4644-M.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hardy,had a coral eater myself ,gorgs,zoas, star polyps, never made it to DT... ;)

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you've got 3 dwarfs in your tank, yes? What size is it?
120 g. I have seen videos where people are keeping these together without problems. I have a 90 gallon that I may move one or both new ones too if they don't work in my 120. So far not terrible. No constant fighting. Some boundary drawing. But I haven't seen the flame angel much. I will put one in my 90 if I have to where I have no Angelfish.

Last edited:

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had one in my 60g for around a year now. Have slowly been introducing Acropora (overflow from 100g tank). Watching carefully to see if\when there is any polyp grazing. Seems to be plenty hardy to me; loves pellet and slowly getting used to ReefFrenzy.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you all for posting. The bi color seemed to be the more outgoing and confident of the two dwarf angels. I just got worried when I read they are not hardy. Both are doing well. No fighting. Coral Beauty leaves them alone.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you all for posting. The bi color seemed to be the more outgoing and confident of the two dwarf angels. I just got worried when I read they are not hardy. Both are doing well. No fighting. Coral Beauty leaves them alone.
The coral beauty is also a dwarf angel.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had that guy for a few years and a few tanks. Shocking hardy, went through a bout of popeye a few times. Flukes took both of those fish pictured down. It certainly had a chip on its shoulder to new arrivals but it ate like a pig and held its own. Never went after softies and zoas but it would devour lps (duncan and hammer was fine dining). Couldn't add another dwarf angel, it would go psycho towards them. Lost a elibi that way :(.

Downside, I've tried a few other varieties of dwarf angels (rusty, coral beauty and flame) with no luck.
20211210_120646~2.jpg

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 g. I have seen videos where people are keeping these together without problems. I have a 90 gallon that I may move one or both new ones too if they don't work in my 120. So far not terrible. No constant fighting. Some boundary drawing. But I haven't seen the flame angel much. I will put one in my 90 if I have to where I have no Angelfish.
120 ought to be plenty big with right habitat

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a bicolor for 3 plus years. No trouble. Added a larger flame a year ago and the flame chases occasionally but never can catch the bicolor. Sometimes it almost feels like the bicolor goes looking for the flame just to play chase. Also just learned my bicolor likes clams. Bought a few for my cbb and both are tag teaming it.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back