Bicolor angels and a Starki Damsel?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two (paired) bicolors angels in a fowlr dedicated to them.

I have always planned to add a third fish. Possibly a midas blenny but I would love to add a Starki Damsel. I can use egg crate to divide the tank to acclimate the pair to the new Damsel and vice versa, which is how I paired the Angels to begin with.

Anyone know if this will work? I've also considered an Azure Damsel, which would be significantly smaller but I think potentially more aggressive than a Starki Damsel, though I did once have an aggressive Starki Damsel, which didn't work with peaceful fish (I'm hoping bicolors can stand up to a Damsel).

I'm going with a Swedish colors theme here for this tank... hoping similar colorations don't antagonize the fishes.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22 gallon long. Could upgrade to 33.

Depends on how big the Angels get. I know 6" is stated but many say they don't get that big in capivity.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Bicolors and I love FOWLERS; but in my opinion, 6” in captivity is definitely possible. So that 33” tank will be a must, eventually. If it’s just the one additional Starki, if he has some rock off to one side, he’ll probably take that over as his own. You really don’t want him taking over a middle rock, with a tank that small, or he’ll claim the whole tank and there will be no room for your Bicolors to enjoy themselves.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.

Tank has lots of room and also lots of pukani intricate rock- hiding spots and obstacle courses- the fish so far seem completely natural.

Not sure I'd be able to control where a Damsel would home.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're still about 3" or below, so.... we'll see how it all goes.

I do indeed see videos of MUCH larger looking bicolors in tanks. I hope mine get that big.

Another option would be a 40 breeder but it seems to me they'd be happier in a 33 long (more room to run). Any thoughts on that?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the 33-long is only 12” high, I’d keep most of the rock work very low so the Bicolors can swim over it. Otherwise all you will have is a Daytona 500 oval where all they can do is laps. :confused:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back