OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always move in and out of the zone with my tank. If things look bad, I tweak and turn everything around and then find the sweet spot but I usually blow right past it. Wish I could afford to just do a Triton test when everything is doing great so I can aim to stay there. I also have some difficulty keeping every single acro happy. I now just shoot to keep most happy and try not to sweat if one starts acting up.

I am starting to learn that if more that 50% are doing well then that’s about as good as you can do. The corals, well acros in our case have to decide they want to be happy and usually will come around. I am starting to see some growers being truly honest and sharing their set backs and troubles as well as the good times. This enforces my belief that as of now this is more art than science and all we can do is all we can do.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I am running into regret from not spacing frags a bit better. Have several that are growing into each other. Some are real mean while others just kind over overpower each other. Wish I would have known when I placed which were known for encrusting more than vertical growth. When I was placing the frags I remember telling myself “when you have to worry about that. It’s a good problem to have.” Well, I am there now and it’s not a good problem. Lol

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I am running into regret from not spacing frags a bit better. Have several that are growing into each other. Some are real mean while others just kind over overpower each other. Wish I would have known when I placed which were known for encrusting more than vertical growth. When I was placing the frags I remember telling myself “when you have to worry about that. It’s a good problem to have.” Well, I am there now and it’s not a good problem. Lol

Haha, it’s a lot of work and wet hands.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cut my organic carbon dosing by skipping the vinegar in my Kalk and boosted my 2 part to make up for it.

Well I am seeing some really good signs, some not so good.

First PE and color are improving on most all corals and I already had pretty good of both.

However best of all, coral growth has been by far the best I have yet to see in this system! I’m seeing quick growth from even frags I’ve just added.

ORP and pH also have increased on average.

It’s clear to me that the carbon dosing was limiting nutrients in the system for corals to grow well.

I see that now because algae has started growing again, but only minor and seems to stay in check with my fish and CUC.

Although I kept a good amount of nutrients (NO3=5-8ppm, PO4=.05, and I feed well) the bacteria growing from the carbon has been stealing from the corals and limiting their growth.

NO3 and PO4 are steady so I see no reason to worry.

Good things.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back