Big boom: Have you kept any type of firework corals?

Have you kept any type of firework corals? (select all that apply)

• I have kept firework clove polyps.

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • I have kept firework acros.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have kept firework torches.

• I have not kept any type of firework corals.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Other

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Big boom: Have you kept any type of firework corals?

As some of us celebrate red, white, and things that go boom, my mind is drawn to fireworks. Specifically, firework corals. From firework clove polyps to firework acros, firework torches, and more. There are many corals that either have the word “fireworks” in the name or look like they are exploding and could easily include fireworks in the description. Let’s talk about what you like about them, what you don’t like, if you keep them, if you have a favorite, and any tips that you would like to share.

Pro Tip: For firework clove polyps, it is recommended to give them space and be prepared to trim. Compared to green clove polyps, firework clove polyps typically don’t grow as fast and aren’t usually as aggressive, however they can still become an issue so be prepared to manage them if necessary.

TidalGardens_FireworkClovePolyps.jpeg

Photo by @Tidal Gardens

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have some fireworks cloves on hand. From talking with other reefers, they are hit or miss, like keeping xenia. Only they don't spread nearly as fast. I like the bundle of color they provide, and they are very easy to frag. Happy Independence Day!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful but always afraid of them spreading!

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an odd one I guess. I can't keep them alive and thriving, Xenia is the same for me. I have plenty of very healthy LPS and softies and they are fantastic, anemones as well. Just can't seem to keep the clove polyps happy.

PensacolaReefKeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have struggled to keep these...had some GHA take root in the middle of the polys which ended up killing them, but I hope to one day be able to keep them as I think they're a beautiful coral.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fireworks cloves were one of the only ones that disappeared on me...started them low in the tank to acclimate and they quickly spread off the plug and under an overhang where they vanished...i assumed they didn't like where they were but would spread to a place they were happy but it never happened...flow wasn't excessive they were waving but not crazily...

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite all of my efforts, I have not been able to have long term success with these corals in my years of reefing. They tend to do well for a while, but one day they seem to decide to un-alive themselves and start a relatively quick decline.

This coral has never been too exciting or captivating to me, but even then, it is frustrating that I was never able to find success with them.

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried a couple of times to keep these corals, but they just wither away, which is a shame as I love them.

FinsUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto! I've tried twice with two different strains of these style clove polyps but both melted away after a few months. Haven't had issues with any other LPS or softies. Stumped as to why...

areohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have firework clove polyps. Love the color they bring. I just keep them on a separate rock.

Looking to add this ARC Firework acro in the future.
1688753339085.png

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

• My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back