"BIG BOX" soap box!!!

Chef.ryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The retail chain pet stores get a lot of guff from the saltwater community. And I admit I'm one of the complainers. The sub-par conditions, the wildly out-of-parameter waters, the scores of bubble or cyano algae, the ICH!!! And there is usually a malnourished fish or worse, a corpse. I frequent the petco near me because it is one of only 3 local places to get my "fix" and from time to time, there is something I feel like rescuing usually because it's a real steal of a deal. ( like a small hippo tang for 4$ because the "expert" thought it was a damsel!). About 3 months ago, I purchased a trio of really good looking Orange Barred Zebra Dartfish for $11.00. Anyways, last night, I was just watching my tank as we all do, enjoying my hobby and I realized that all of my livestock, save 2, have come from Petco. All my long-lived, fat,healthy fish came from Big Box! My current line up consists of the 3 zebra Dartfish, a golden Midas blenny, a large ruby head wrasse, 1 orange and 1 black clownfish, a neon dotty back, a copperband butterfly, a clown goby, an exquisite wrasse, and a lemon peel angel. My non-petco fish are 1 Singapore angel ( who runs the entire tank) and a blue stripe pipefish leftover from my sehorse days.
I've had $80 butterflies come in the mail and acclimate just fine, eat right away, and die 3 weeks later. I've lost $100's of fish, coral and inverts from the quality lfs. I've had jumpers, and suicide intake stuffers! I've even had a massive outbreak of marine ich that wiped out my lfs guys but my petco fish simply got better. I start to wonder if the squalid conditions that my survivors come from have made them strong and disease resistant and even smarter? Like the aquatic equivalent of cyborgs.
I don't want it to sound like the lfs I have here are crap because they are not. In fact, they are the opposite and one is nationally recognized. They take care and pride in what they do and quarentine their livestock properly. They help me and every customer with decision after decision. They will even refuse to sell a fish or coral if they know it isn't healthy or if they know it isn't compatible with my tankmates! I'm thankful for their knowledge because it helped me tremendously in my short 6 years in the hobby.
I also don't want to discount the petco employees. Some of them are very knowledgeable and have a sincere passion for the trade. I wish there were more of you out there! I know they have to do as "corporate" dictates. It's the ones who will reach into a tank bare handed and stir up tons of garbage after holding a filthy snake or frog and not even wash his hands.
My point is that you may not be able to get a bio-luminescent Aussie that costs $300 at petco. You might not always see the highest quality or healthiest fish there either. And any fish can have ich, but the frequent stress of a pet store and tank mates induces it, I'm sure. But in my opinion, we should not write off chain pet stores with such disgust and hatred. If you don't want to buy from them, don't, but don't do Facebook rants about how crappy they are because you saw a skinny mandarin dragonette. These fish just need our homes and stable environments to bounce back to being happy again instead of dosed with "sleeping medicines" and bagged up and shipped from place to place.
Wow, this got long winded and took a strange turn. Oh well. Here's a picture...

LukeV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, how was the copper band butterfly when you purchased it from the store? How long did you QT it for and what did it treat? What was it eating when you bought it? I am not against buying from them, and would gladly purchase a unhealthy fish to try and nourish back to health.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few fish that came from petc0 when I was starting out - years ago. All are still with us and thriving. I have not since bought from them, due to fear of disease for my thriving tanks. My rule is QT no matter where they come from.

OP
OP
C

Chef.ryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

I never quarantine. Bad habit but it is what it is.
image.jpg

image.jpg

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank... I'll share as well...main tank and latest addition, my first clam. Didn't QT him, so I guess I broke a rule there. : )

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426733238.548040.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426733264.667747.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco gets their livestock from the same wholesalers most LFS use. Some are even supplied by Quality Marine, the wholesaler used by Liveaquaria. So, if you can find out when your local Petco's shipment comes in and buy right out of the bag before it hits their tanks... that's gonna be your best bet.

The difference is what happens to the livestock once it's taken out of the bag and put in their system. Most quality LFS will take steps to control the number of parasites they know are coming on the fish (i.e. ich management) and will provide their corals with adequate lighting. Stuff like that. With some Petcos, the salinity might swing because the system is not topoffed for days, the fish might not be fed on a regular basis, they'll put a delicate fish in with a gang of damsels, etc. Stuff like that.

Of course, all it takes is 1 or 2 good employees who care and work in the fish section to make all the difference. This applies to Petco or any LFS really.

dghby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco gets their livestock from the same wholesalers most LFS use. Some are even supplied by Quality Marine, the wholesaler used by Liveaquaria. So, if you can find out when your local Petco's shipment comes in and buy right out of the bag before it hits their tanks... that's gonna be your best bet.

The difference is what happens to the livestock once it's taken out of the bag and put in their system. Most quality LFS will take steps to control the number of parasites they know are coming on the fish (i.e. ich management) and will provide their corals with adequate lighting. Stuff like that. With some Petcos, the salinity might swing because the system is not topoffed for days, the fish might not be fed on a regular basis, they'll put a delicate fish in with a gang of damsels, etc. Stuff like that.

Of course, all it takes is 1 or 2 good employees who care and work in the fish section to make all the difference. This applies to Petco or any LFS really.

Oh how I agree with the fact that all it takes is one good employee. our Petco and their Saltwater tanks were terrible, just terrible. but a someone was hired for that department and he happen to keep saltwater, a matter of fact a successful reefer. Wow, you could begin seeing that something changed. he cares and his department shows it. have got to know him and he shares his talents with me. also got to find out he had an interest in keeping Discus so I was able to lend him info in return. I would definitely buy off this Petco now as they do get from the same supplier as the LFS and on the same day. Thursday is fish day.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back