Big Colorful Circles! What are my options?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs, angelfish, foxface, butterflies! All these fish have bright colors, get fairly large, and have a somewhat round body shape. My question is, what fish in this general description fits my tank? The tank is 36" x 20" x 22", so basically a 40 gallon breeder but taller and a bit wider. I've got a relatively open aquascape and a fair bit of flow, if that makes a difference. Tank has some soft corals and I'm planning on adding more, so I don't think a dwarf angelfish is a great idea, much as I'd love to put in a flame angel. People typically recommend wrasses to add color and display in a smaller tank, but I'm looking for a flat, somewhat round fish (laterally compressed) around 3 - 5 inches in length. Does such a thing exist? I've thought about a foxface, yellow tang, or Genicanthus angelfish before. I decided the foxface would make it look like a 5 gallon, the angel would need more than my current once a day feeding, and the tang, while the most manageable of those three, probably isn't a wise addition for a multitude of reasons. I also thought about a copperband, but given my relative inexperience, decided that wasn't wise either. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could do a ton of chromis lots of different types. Just make sure they get along

Cool idea! Do you think I'd have trouble with them picking each other off? I keep reading that they are likely to whittle the population down to just one or two after a while. I do really like the concept, though.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of them can be bullies. You would have to do some research. Me personally I love the green chromis. That was my very first saltwater fish like 20+ years ago. I’ve currently got like 3 different types in a tank now.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs, angelfish, foxface, butterflies! All these fish have bright colors, get fairly large, and have a somewhat round body shape. My question is, what fish in this general description fits my tank? The tank is 36" x 20" x 22", so basically a 40 gallon breeder but taller and a bit wider. I've got a relatively open aquascape and a fair bit of flow, if that makes a difference. Tank has some soft corals and I'm planning on adding more, so I don't think a dwarf angelfish is a great idea, much as I'd love to put in a flame angel. People typically recommend wrasses to add color and display in a smaller tank, but I'm looking for a flat, somewhat round fish (laterally compressed) around 3 - 5 inches in length. Does such a thing exist? I've thought about a foxface, yellow tang, or Genicanthus angelfish before. I decided the foxface would make it look like a 5 gallon, the angel would need more than my current once a day feeding, and the tang, while the most manageable of those three, probably isn't a wise addition for a multitude of reasons. I also thought about a copperband, but given my relative inexperience, decided that wasn't wise either. Any ideas?
Honestly, there really isn’t many laterally compressed fish that would fit into your tank.
Genicanthus angels can thrive on one feeding a day if you feed nutrient heavy however I generally aim for a 4’ tank or larger before getting into the medium-large Angels like Genicanthus species.
You could maybe try Gobiodon or Paragobiodon species, they have a more round face but do seem more lengthy.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about a sunburst anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus), @i cant think ? I'm finding conflicting information on whether they need frequent feedings like other anthias, or are fine with a single large feeding once a day. Other than that, they seem to fit all my "criteria". Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about a sunburst anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus), @i cant think ? I'm finding conflicting information on whether they need frequent feedings like other anthias, or are fine with a single large feeding once a day. Other than that, they seem to fit all my "criteria". Thanks!
Generally Sunbursts can go with one nutrient rich feeding a day however I’d aim for Atleast 2 feedings a day.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunburst don't need feeding as frequently as pseudanthias species. Really though, most all fish will appreciate being fed more than once a day.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question about sunburst anthias. I have a new 80g on the way, and having never owned anthias, I’ve been considering a sunburst.

Are sunbursts “okay” by themselves, or would they do better in a larger group like many other types of anthias?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question about sunburst anthias. I have a new 80g on the way, and having never owned anthias, I’ve been considering a sunburst.

Are sunbursts “okay” by themselves, or would they do better in a larger group like many other types of anthias?

Yeah, it's fine to just keep one.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a pair of beautiful clownfish, or Banggai Cardinal pair.
One of the Hawkfish also nice looking. IMO, 5-inch fish is too large for a 36-inch tank.

Already got the clownfish! Do you think that a flame hawkfish would leave my cleaner shrimp pair alone? Thanks!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish is a risk for the shrimps especially hungry Hawfish.
I do think dwarf angelfish is a good idea also. I would feed more than once per day but angels will get food in your tank. They hunt for pods all day long.
Not optimally fed Angel fish is a risk for all the invertebrates. All the fish got to eat and if you don’t give them food, they will pick at anything living to see if it is eatable.
It is easy to feed angels more than once. Automatic feeder is the way to go.

FLAME Angel, nuptial male
CFAC5338-11F8-4442-8C3D-2592A4CFC3E6.jpeg

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starkii damsel might be an option. They have a dwarf angel kind of look to them, but would be reef safe.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back