Big Jon's nano upgrade

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I thought it might slow them down while i waited for the order to show up. I did not fully blackout the tank in fear of killing off algae that may be helpful in competing with the Dinos
Thats also very insightful.

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At about 1pm today I noticed some brown spots coming back where the dinos were. I quickly swapped out for the 1micron filter sock and filtered the dinos off the sand. This may be a daily maintenance task for a while, but it only takes 3 minutes from start to finish.
I took the opportunity to kill some aptasia while I was there. Mixed some kalk paste and used the bent syringe from the Aptasia X package. At least one part of that purchase was worth it. Lol

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At about 1pm today I noticed some brown spots coming back where the dinos were. I quickly swapped out for the 1micron filter sock and filtered the dinos off the sand. This may be a daily maintenance task for a while, but it only takes 3 minutes from start to finish.
I took the opportunity to kill some aptasia while I was there. Mixed some kalk paste and used the bent syringe from the Aptasia X package. At least one part of that purchase was worth it. Lol
It may take a bit but keeping on it will get there. How does Po and no look

CaliReef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep at it brother and good luck. My dinos are good some days really bad others. I never had them when i was mixing my own salt. I tried my LFS pre-mixed water and thats when my troubles began. On the bright side, I got some nudibranchs for my aptasia from a guy that cultures them localy and they're doing a great job!..they laid eggs and everything.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No3 was about 3ppm and po4 was <.03ppm. I am upping the amount I dose daily for both solutions. It seems that I loose 2ppm no3 and .03ppm po4 daily.
Yep. Every tank in different. How does cheato look

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wonder why some tanks can't keep nitrates. You'd think ours would be that way.
Yeah, I never thought this would be an issue. I remember reading about people dosing no3 and po4 and thinking it was unnecessary when you could just feed more. I was wrong. Lol

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As your cheato grows the more it will use. Micro algae is very efficient for remove trace elements. It is possible that you may have to dose to keep it healthy.
Not the same but I've got to do that to my fw planted tank.
@Rakie can you weigh in on microalgae and it's care.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microalgae is very efficient at removing nutrients. You add a skimmer and you could wipe out nutrients. Algae needs it to grow. Remember the algae in corals is a species of dino. They take elements to photosynthesize part of the reason corals can look palier with low nutrients.

In a reef all this is recycled. In our systems we remove it to control.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back