OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was filled, the new live sand in, and the first version of my rockscape. It was running great, and then...
My tank developed a small leak. I lost about a gallon overnight, the new cream color carpet was dampin a 2 dt radius around the tank. It turned out to need another gasket between the tank and outer overflow box. If i were to do it over, i would have purchased an overflow kit instead of diy'ing it. Now if my newborn would sleep in her crib instead of on my chest i could fill it back up. Pictures of it set up coming soon.

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its back together and leak free! Its still cycling even with live sand and cured rocks. Here are a couple of shots of the set up. One PG and one rated R (drawers off) I still need to build my ato, but will manually top off like some kinda jerk for now.
20190515_200225.jpg
20190515_200111.jpg

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transferred livestock into the tank yesterday. After renting a PAR meter for my old Hipargero light I found that it would not work, even temporarily, for the 30 inch long tank. Luckily John @YourReef had one Ocean Revive T247 in stock and the color is amazing. I had to put a bunch of rock in my display because my pistol shrimp disappeared into it. I will get some better pics when I get the extra rockwork out, and get the corals placed. Its amazing how much more room there is for coral considering that I only increased actual display volume by 6 gallons. I am excited about this new tank. Its everything exactly how I want a tank, wheras the hex was just what i could make do with.
20190601_150812.jpg
20190601_150825.jpg

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I gotta say, if it wasnt for R2R and all the build threads and diy posts I would not have been able to design this system. The black vinyl I got from Amazon. Here is what I bought. Just pre cut the piece an inch bigger, and applied it like vinyl graphics with a spray bottle of water/alcohol, a squeegee, and a heat gun. Coavas Window-Blackout-Film Non Adhesive Static Cling Tint Darkening Frosted Black Kids' Room Window Sticker Insulation 100% Light Blocking for Baby's Room Bedroom and Home 17.7" x 78.7" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DZYZ9GH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FA.8CbKYSDF4B

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you do that controller panel? I would love to do something like that to both my tanks. How did you attach it, where is the power supply’s, as many details as you can, I’m gonna zap myself one day if I don’t get organized over here.

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you do that controller panel? I would love to do something like that to both my tanks. How did you attach it, where is the power supply’s, as many details as you can, I’m gonna zap myself one day if I don’t get organized over here.
I ripped 2 1x1 strips to glue and screw vertically about 3 inches inside of the left side of the stand. I then cut a piece of ply to use as the controller mount. I predrilled 4 countersunk holes to attach the panel to the strips so i could remove it if i had to change it. I drew out the layout before i painted it and drilled a big hole for wires. There is a hole in the back panel that the main wifi powerstrip goes through. The second power strip is for the return pumps, wave pumps, and skimmer pump. I can shut those all off at the same time with my app. The wifi power strip has 4 individually controlled outlets. One is for pumps, one is for heater, one is for fuge light, and one is for display light. I still have some wire clean up, but it turned out pretty organized just plugging stuff in.
20190426_161714.jpg
20190515_200111.jpg
20190501_120816.jpg

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgive me if i missed it but did you seal/waterproof the stand? if so what product did you use?
I used a high quality outdoor paint. Nothing fancy, i just made sure to seal every little bit of exposed wood. I used 2 heavy coats on the inside.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ripped 2 1x1 strips to glue and screw vertically about 3 inches inside of the left side of the stand. I then cut a piece of ply to use as the controller mount. I predrilled 4 countersunk holes to attach the panel to the strips so i could remove it if i had to change it. I drew out the layout before i painted it and drilled a big hole for wires. There is a hole in the back panel that the main wifi powerstrip goes through. The second power strip is for the return pumps, wave pumps, and skimmer pump. I can shut those all off at the same time with my app. The wifi power strip has 4 individually controlled outlets. One is for pumps, one is for heater, one is for fuge light, and one is for display light. I still have some wire clean up, but it turned out pretty organized just plugging stuff in.
20190426_161714.jpg
20190515_200111.jpg
20190501_120816.jpg
Wow well done.

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some time and got my rockwork sorted and my corals placed. I did my first waterchange and maintenance also. My idea of placing the flat refugium lights against the side of the sump kinda backfired. It turned the walls into a hair algae farm, while the chaeto is turning clear and rotting away. I might build an algae turf scrubber with these flat light panels and ditch the chaeto. I will leave some live rock in the fuge and make a frag grow out area out of it if i do that. I wish my phone took better pics. Doesnt do the tank justice.
20190608_205005.jpg

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190629_142958.jpg
The tank is doing great! Its started to uptake alk and calcium at a good clip, and the cheato is growing very well after a slow start. It started to turn white and fade away at first. I think i added it too early. The only issue i am having is that the 'fuge is working too well. I have zero measurable (by Salifert test kit) n03 and p04. I am going to add a third fish, feed a little more, and cut the 'fuge lighting schedule by 2 hours. Thanks for following along! If you have any morsels of wisdom on the no3 and po4 situation, please drop them here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back