Big Refugium, Big Growth, Dinoflagelletes

Trial&Eror

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2024
Messages
18
Reaction score
12
Location
Southwest
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been quite some time since I’ve posted on R2R! I felt inclined to bring an observation I’ve made over the past few months, to see if I could get any feedback, shared experiences, and possibly solution*

To begin, I have a pretty heavily stock 75 gallon, a 40 gallon display refugium, and 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump. Needless to say, with 5 combined feedings between the two tanks, I experience some pretty rapid macro algae growth. My observation over the past few months, is when growth becomes too explosive and it’s time to prune, a very small presence of dinoflagellates will manifest on the surface of the macros. No slimey brown strings, just small bubbles, very similar to what you’d see when freshwater plants expel gasses.

My best guess would be nutrients are close to bottoming out or are disproportionate? I must admit I do not test for nitrates or phosphates, or do water changes. I use 0 chemical filtration, 32 watt UV (12 hours), and skim. I dose either trace or reef plus daily and B-ionic 2 part as needed.

Has anyone else had this experience with a larger refugium? Is it safe to trade or sell the macros to fellow hobbiest? I only ask because I cringe every time I throw dragonsbreath away.
 
Last edited:
Did you verify that it's actually dinoflagellates and not diatoms (e.g. using a microscope)?

I've attached an image showing "pizza slices" (Diatoms, probably Licmophora sp.) attaching to green algae which is a pretty common sight.

So either the dinos in your tank leave the substrate at night as they can't perform photosynthesis without it and end up on your macro algae which still gets light (I assume you have the algae refugium lights turn on when it's getting dark to stabilize the pH). Or diatoms are accumulating on the top of your macro algae as there is the most light. They are probably more distributed when there is a bit less macro algae shielding off light from lower layers so that's why you notice growth once it's getting out of hand. There is also less water flow through dense algae which accumulates all sorts of stuff.
1000081608.jpg
 
It’s been quite some time since I’ve posted on R2R! I felt inclined to bring an observation I’ve made over the past few months, to see if I could get any feedback, shared experiences, and possibly solution*

To begin, I have a pretty heavily stock 75 gallon, a 40 gallon display refugium, and 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump. Needless to say, with 5 combined feedings between the two tanks, I experience some pretty rapid macro algae growth. My observation over the past few months, is when growth becomes too explosive and it’s time to prune, a very small presence of dinoflagellates will manifest on the surface of the macros. No slimey brown strings, just small bubbles, very similar to what you’d see when freshwater plants expel gasses.

My best guess would be nutrients are close to bottoming out or are disproportionate? I must admit I do not test for nitrates or phosphates, or do water changes. I use 0 chemical filtration, 32 watt UV (12 hours), and skim. I dose either trace or reef plus daily and B-ionic 2 part as needed.

Has anyone else had this experience with a larger refugium? Is it safe to trade or sell the macros to fellow hobbiest? I only ask because I cringe every time I throw dragonsbreath away.
I didn’t find anything unusual with your experience. Too bad about the lack of water chemistry results which would have been useful in explaining your observations.

As for selling or sharing anything, the act is like sharing hypodermic needles. You are sharing a wealth of organisms. This occurred when you bought your fish and algae. It is what happens in this hobby.
 
It’s been quite some time since I’ve posted on R2R! I felt inclined to bring an observation I’ve made over the past few months, to see if I could get any feedback, shared experiences, and possibly solution*

To begin, I have a pretty heavily stock 75 gallon, a 40 gallon display refugium, and 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump. Needless to say, with 5 combined feedings between the two tanks, I experience some pretty rapid macro algae growth. My observation over the past few months, is when growth becomes too explosive and it’s time to prune, a very small presence of dinoflagellates will manifest on the surface of the macros. No slimey brown strings, just small bubbles, very similar to what you’d see when freshwater plants expel gasses.

My best guess would be nutrients are close to bottoming out or are disproportionate? I must admit I do not test for nitrates or phosphates, or do water changes. I use 0 chemical filtration, 32 watt UV (12 hours), and skim. I dose either trace or reef plus daily and B-ionic 2 part as needed.

Has anyone else had this experience with a larger refugium? Is it safe to trade or sell the macros to fellow hobbiest? I only ask because I cringe every time I throw dragonsbreath away.
What makes you think it's not the macro causing the bubbles?
 
Your thought may be valid. My remote fuge towards end of photo period will have bubbles on the macros and surface water will be covered as well. DT is currently fighting round 3 of Dino’s. Other than that no real sign of Dino’s in both fuges.
IMG_8180.jpeg


The Pom Pom fuge is clear though…
IMG_8181.jpeg

NO3- 12ppm/PO4 .1ppm
 
Appreciate the replies guys! To clarify, I don’t test the nitrate and phosphate values because I use the cheap API test kit and rarely get values for either, and I know that can’t be true given everything going on in the tanks.

No microscope at home, so I can’t definitively say what I’m observing is dinoflagellates. I must add, the main display tank does not experience this at all, even at the height of the light cycle. It would’ve probably been helpful to have photos, attached below are a few.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3441.jpeg
    IMG_3441.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 37

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new