Big Tanks Plywood vs. Acrylic

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone that has built their own big tanks what made you choose either plywood or all acrylic (or all glass)?

I am looking at doing a big boy (thinking about calling him "Onion Boy" because I keep going on about layers...Vertical layers for LPS, SPS, layers of flow, layers of aquascape from front to back. I guess Shrek would work too). Originally was planning on 8'x3'x3' but think I want more space to make sure I can pull off both my stocking goals and aquascaping goals which go hand in hand.

Teetering toward a 10'x4'x(3 or 4)' Display with the rest TBD. I'd like to set it up like I have shown in my awful 1st attempt at sketch up. 3' infront of the wall with the front panel and side panels viewable and 1' behind the wall (blacked out like the back).

Originally thought about doing it in acrylic but I'll be danged if I can find pricing on 10' sheets and based on the calculator I was using it is going to need 1.5" to 2" thickness depending on how high I go. Even though I see a lot of manufacturers going with 1.5 on dimensions the calculator says go thicker so I'm not sure who to believe.

2nd instinct was to try plywood but I was unsure of how to do the side viewing panels and if I did figure that out then it might weaken the overall structure. We're talking up to 1,000g in the main display, that's a lot of water to gamble with. Since I want a tall tank and it is most likely going in a tight space (8' ceilings) I figure I will have to shrink the stand height to allow for space for lighting an access up top. Which means I think I want to go acrylic just in case I decide to whack the bottom of the tank with a piece of furniture. It might scratch but maybe not burst! Even though I would do some serious 2x4-2x6 framing/bracing on the exterior would pay to double up the ply? Found some 3/4" marine grade that came in 10' sections so I could avoid joints which just seem like a disastrous idea with out doubling or tripling and offsetting seams.

I have an idea for some potentially spiffy doors for access to the tank from the front. Soft close cabinet hinges (maybe) and/or pneumatic prop rods that will be able to pop all three sides open in short sections.

Annotation 2020-08-14 231404.png

Annotation 2020-08-14 231456.png

Still a ton of ideas and thoughts rolling around in my head. Worried about flow since most of the power heads won't work on thicker materials (will they work through plywood??) so trying to look at closed loop options without turning the tank into swiss cheese.

Thanks for any input you guys might have. I've enjoyed digging through a bunch of the build threads and trying to pull nuggets out of each! :) :)

MBinNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built mine out of acrylic. 500 gallon display and I just started working on an 1150 12x5x30” on the smaller I used 1” sides and 3/4” top and bottom. On the big tank I’m using 2” sides and top and 1” bottom. I considered plywood but I like the side panel views the 4’ front to back provides a whole different aspect to the aquarium.

B69EE2E9-137F-4C3D-9EA9-C81851B61CE0.jpeg

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built mine out of acrylic. 500 gallon display and I just started working on an 1150 12x5x30” on the smaller I used 1” sides and 3/4” top and bottom. On the big tank I’m using 2” sides and top and 1” bottom. I considered plywood but I like the side panel views the 4’ front to back provides a whole different aspect to the aquarium.

B69EE2E9-137F-4C3D-9EA9-C81851B61CE0.jpeg

Love the look of that tank!

So I have 100 questions...

What are the dimensions on your 500?
Any worries about doing the seams yourself? Or challenges you might warn others about?
Where are you sourcing the acrylic for the 1150?

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might enjoy these threads. Especially the 2nd.

MBinNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 96x48x26” over 30” becomes a pain to service. I’ve practiced a lot on the seams. You can usually buy leftovers from acrylic providers or they may even let you take them. Follow monkeyboys build practice using the pins method and a good 2 part weld product. No warnings per say but practice and patience is paramount in a large tank build the only thing more important is precision. Largest acrylic panels are heavy.

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've cruised through Atomic's 800g which is what planted the seed of plywood again because I had written it off!

MBinNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with plywood/fiberglass for the $$ savings and the look of low iron glass. Side panels are easy and safe.
You’re more confident than I am lol. If you went with the largest 96x48x26” you could get away with using 3/4” sides and top with a 1/2” bottom for under $2000.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood is an option for this build but I would not get marine grade due to the chemicals its treated with. When plywood is properly waterproofed for an aquarium there should not be any concerns with water intrusion. I built two plywood tanks 720gallon & 480 Gallon and the only seems were in the corners which are fiber glassed during the water proofing process. I only had one minor failure in water proofing on a top brace where a piece of plywood was cut on edge but the lesson there is to fiberglass those kinds of edges. Its also possible to go with a pond liner which is and option I am going to explore during my next build. If you plan to go over 36" tall then you would be better off going with acrylic for viewing panels as going over 36" tall with glass up to 48" tall requires to go with 3/4" tempered glass or 1" glass if you can find it. There are a number of different built methods to choose from. Best advise is to research and take your time in planning.

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Alex, dont use Marine grade. To many chemicals used. Hes also correct about the height over 36" and glass needing to be thicker. I used 3/4" tempered on mine and that was the biggest i could find. No one had even heard of 1" glass around here.

My recommendation is to not go taller than 30" also for ease of use. I have 32" and I cant reach the bottom in the center without a mask. When I start getting full SPS colony's its gonna be hard not to damage corals when getting in the tank.
I also would not go more than 48" front to back, I actually would have gone less if I could. Its really hard to see corals on the back wall through 44 inches of water. Frags just get lost. I wish I had gone 36-40 Inches.

Just my 2cents

carorack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine plywood usually has better quality and more plys, and fewer voids in the plys. It also has completely waterproof glue. Its not treated normally. Its also can be in 5x10 sheets instead of 4x8. Okume marine ply should be great for building a tank. Finding it in the midwest can be tricky though.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my 4x8x30 with 1" sides and 3/4 top and bottom. I think i paid around 2,700 for materials. I will say this and it is not too be ignored... if you are debating about the cost of the tank then you are not ready for a tank that big.

I dont know what percentage of the build my tank was but it wasnt over 20%.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone that has built their own big tanks what made you choose either plywood or all acrylic (or all glass)?

I am looking at doing a big boy (thinking about calling him "Onion Boy" because I keep going on about layers...Vertical layers for LPS, SPS, layers of flow, layers of aquascape from front to back. I guess Shrek would work too). Originally was planning on 8'x3'x3' but think I want more space to make sure I can pull off both my stocking goals and aquascaping goals which go hand in hand.

Teetering toward a 10'x4'x(3 or 4)' Display with the rest TBD. I'd like to set it up like I have shown in my awful 1st attempt at sketch up. 3' infront of the wall with the front panel and side panels viewable and 1' behind the wall (blacked out like the back).

Originally thought about doing it in acrylic but I'll be danged if I can find pricing on 10' sheets and based on the calculator I was using it is going to need 1.5" to 2" thickness depending on how high I go. Even though I see a lot of manufacturers going with 1.5 on dimensions the calculator says go thicker so I'm not sure who to believe.

2nd instinct was to try plywood but I was unsure of how to do the side viewing panels and if I did figure that out then it might weaken the overall structure. We're talking up to 1,000g in the main display, that's a lot of water to gamble with. Since I want a tall tank and it is most likely going in a tight space (8' ceilings) I figure I will have to shrink the stand height to allow for space for lighting an access up top. Which means I think I want to go acrylic just in case I decide to whack the bottom of the tank with a piece of furniture. It might scratch but maybe not burst! Even though I would do some serious 2x4-2x6 framing/bracing on the exterior would pay to double up the ply? Found some 3/4" marine grade that came in 10' sections so I could avoid joints which just seem like a disastrous idea with out doubling or tripling and offsetting seams.

I have an idea for some potentially spiffy doors for access to the tank from the front. Soft close cabinet hinges (maybe) and/or pneumatic prop rods that will be able to pop all three sides open in short sections.

Annotation 2020-08-14 231404.png

Annotation 2020-08-14 231456.png

Still a ton of ideas and thoughts rolling around in my head. Worried about flow since most of the power heads won't work on thicker materials (will they work through plywood??) so trying to look at closed loop options without turning the tank into swiss cheese.

Thanks for any input you guys might have. I've enjoyed digging through a bunch of the build threads and trying to pull nuggets out of each! :) :)
My 2 cents worth.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose to build a plywood tank with Glass for a number of reasons.

1. I like to build stuff. Just look at my build thread.
2. Transporting a glass tank of this size would be nearly impossible to get to my location so build on the spot worked.
3. I wanted Glass I hate to clean acrylic:mad:
4. Cost was a little bit of a consideration but not really the driving force but if cost is a consideration a full glass or acrylic tank of the same size I built would cost at least 3X as much.
5. I found 5' x 10' plywood so I was able to get the size I wanted.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back