Biggest Mistake/Regret In The Hobby

Adding a beautiful small Maroon clown fish. Oh he's so cute! Wow he host all my anemones over night........He's so cute...... NOT
I despise the dang fish. I have been trying to catch that stinking terror and he's just messing with me. I have no idea how to get him out of a 250 reef without destroying my corals. Ugh I regret the day I saw him he was fine for 5 years and like 2 months ago decided to start WW3 with other fish. I am to the point I'm even thinking of using a pitch fork to catch him. Traps don't work. Fishing wire and hook he steals the food and won't hook on!! I would pay for any idea that works on how to get that terrorist out of my tank.

I waited til they were asleep and snuck up on my maroon pair in the middle of the night .. they were so shocked then I light blasted them with a flash light they swam right into my net .. case closed ..
 
I am 99% sure there is no ich in my tank because I only buy fish from places that treat their fish with copper at the store.

Just an fyi, a lot of places keep a low dose of copper in the tanks, not a full therapeutic one. Because if they have a fish for months, that fish can't live that long in a full dose of copper.

The levels most keep is to keep parasites at bay, not to eliminate them. Just keep that in mind. Because it's completely possible to get something even though the store uses copper. Should still QT because an outbreak in your display tank will be a time consuming nightmare that will cost you a ton more in money to fix.
 
Lol yeah, I'm sure, but not taking that chance again. Beautiful coral, but seriously not worth it. It's more a weed than a coral.

I'm trying that weed as a method of nutrient reduction right now in my 93 cube before I switch to an algae reactor on the "in progress" 180.

Only problem is my fat slob Mag Foxface keeps eating all the leaves off the xenia if I don't feed her first thing when the lights come on. She already devoured one whole xenia stalks and all, just gone, and the second one is hanging on by a thread.
 
Just an fyi, a lot of places keep a low dose of copper in the tanks, not a full therapeutic one. Because if they have a fish for months, that fish can't live that long in a full dose of copper.

The levels most keep is to keep parasites at bay, not to eliminate them. Just keep that in mind. Because it's completely possible to get something even though the store uses copper. Should still QT because an outbreak in your display tank will be a time consuming nightmare that will cost you a ton more in money to fix.
Oh yeah I know that. I also had a couple very stressful issues for the fish and I saw nothing, I do think if I had anything I would have seen it. I did setup a qt and bought copper just in case I see anything. (Thats also for when I get another fish)
 
I thought royal grammas were generally peaceful as long as you didn't invade their "cave"; how is this a mistake?
My clown loves to go near the gramma's burrow and fighting insues
 
Adding a beautiful small Maroon clown fish. Oh he's so cute! Wow he host all my anemones over night........He's so cute...... NOT
I despise the dang fish. I have been trying to catch that stinking terror and he's just messing with me. I have no idea how to get him out of a 250 reef without destroying my corals. Ugh I regret the day I saw him he was fine for 5 years and like 2 months ago decided to start WW3 with other fish. I am to the point I'm even thinking of using a pitch fork to catch him. Traps don't work. Fishing wire and hook he steals the food and won't hook on!! I would pay for any idea that works on how to get that terrorist out of my tank.

Aside from fish traps, gradually getting fish used to being fed inside a large glass or plastic container (x weeks, probably) and then when it is well inside the glass container with a lid nearby, put the lid on and remove the whole thing from the tank (and then extract that fish). Similarly but probably tougher would be to herd the fish towards a large clear container/2 gallon Ziploc since they can't see it. Good luck!
 
Aside from fish traps, gradually getting fish used to being fed inside a large glass or plastic container (x weeks, probably) and then when it is well inside the glass container with a lid nearby, put the lid on and remove the whole thing from the tank (and then extract that fish). Similarly but probably tougher would be to herd the fish towards a large clear container/2 gallon Ziploc since they can't see it. Good luck!

Easier said than done ;). In a 250 gallon reef tank you'll never be able to heard those nasty little... things, lol. I agree a trap or container would work best but it will take time to get them so they're not afraid of it. That's probably the only way of catching it because they just dart around unpredictably at light speed.

That pitchfork comment made me laugh my butt off.
 
Getting complacent when the tank looks good
Water salinity dropped to 1.201
Lost 2 great looking corals
I have a Milwaukee water tester too...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new