Bimac Anthias / Sunset Anthias- Numbers/ Advice

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 1x Female Bimac Anthias and 1x Female Sunset Anthias (parvirostris) in QT. I have not added any medications yet. The QT is 20 gallon long. They are both eating mysis well.

I ordered 2 more female Bimacs. I will have them Friday. I know there is the odd number rule, so am I asking for issues? I went with 2 more, so I would have 3 Bimacs. I am hoping that the Sunset Anthias will be the odd women out? I plan to treat everyone with general cure once the newcomers are also eating.

My tank is 300 gallons with lots of hiding places. Curious what you guys and gals think? I can order some more next month, just on a tight budget at the moment.

A friend may also give me one more female Bimac. So I may end up with 4 Bimacs and 1 Sunset. Is that going to work?

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the numbers thing will play that big of a role with tank volume you have. I have 3 bimacs with no problem in a 210. They did attack my bartletts however. Never had a sunset but I think the Bimacs may bully it.

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the numbers thing will play that big of a role with tank volume you have. I have 3 bimacs with no problem in a 210. They did attack my bartletts however. Never had a sunset but I think the Bimacs may bully it.

Thanks. In the quarantine tank, the female bimac is definitely the dominant fish. They hang behind the sponge filter together though... but she's not crazy aggressive at this point.

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you guys qt’ing these fish? Was told they don’t handle cp well

Yes I am also curious what the QT experts recommend as well. I think this round I just plan to dose the General Cure... and just watch them for a couple of weeks. Then let them go.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 bimacs, a fathead, and a borbonius in a 125g. I had 4 bimacs and the fathead go through qt in copper power with no issues (1 bimac died after being removed from copper).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias certainly can get ich and velvet, but uronema and bacterial infections are more common. I always QT them in a 20L. I observe and get them eating first and treat only as symptoms present. I’ve not found anthias to be problematic with CP. Make sure there’s plenty of flow.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anthias certainly can get ich and velvet, but uronema and bacterial infections are more common. I always QT them in a 20L. I observe and get them eating first and treat only as symptoms present. I’ve not found anthias to be problematic with CP. Make sure there’s plenty of flow.
How are the Bimacs temperment?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty mellow, though they do need swimming space. Similar temperament to the square; much less aggressive than lyretail or bartlett.

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9559710d3d29efc221243cd3244cd54d.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back