Bimaculatus Anthias - suddenly stops eating???

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this specific bimaculatus anthias in my tank for close to 2 years. He is on day #3 of deciding not to eat. Nothing new has gone into the tank and all other fish are eating. He appears to be hiding more underneath rocks and doesn’t show interest in any foods.

Even went to the store to get live brine shrimp to see if it could trigger a response. The fish shows no external signs of disease. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas?

@Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not sure what that might be, lack of feeding response is such a general symptom...
I’ve got a Bartlett’s right now that is just starving for no apparent reason, we’ve had it three years, and the others in the group are doing great...
Jay

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not sure what that might be, lack of feeding response is such a general symptom...
I’ve got a Bartlett’s right now that is just starving for no apparent reason, we’ve had it three years, and the others in the group are doing great...
Jay
Sounds like it’s just an anthias choice then. They are a bit squirrelly. Guess if this one dies I should move onto Lyretails instead of bimacs.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Bartlett’s myself, but kind of pricey lately...
Jay

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said 'he' in your original post. If it's really a male, I have had them do this before. I typically buy only females, because when one turns male it seems to begin an expiration clock and within about six months its toast. Just stops eating, lays under the rocks than then gone.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said 'he' in your original post. If it's really a male, I have had them do this before. I typically buy only females, because when one turns male it seems to begin an expiration clock and within about six months its toast. Just stops eating, lays under the rocks than then gone.
dang, that’s exactly what happened. Turned male awhile back and it’s been hiding under a rock since I posted this. Looks like he may be on his final day or 2.

Sucks because I have to female Bimacs coming out of QT in 10 days. Wonder if females in the tank would have made him survive.

Or are you inferring that in general, bimacs that transition to male are goners regardless?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or are you inferring that in general, bimacs that transition to male are goners regardless?
This, in my case at least. Has happened over and over.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, in my case at least. Has happened over and over.
Wow, that’s good to know. After these last two bimacs go in and it happens I think I’m going to pivot to Pintail fairy wrasse trio of 3.

Similar colors but I’ve been successful with my trip of Blue Star Leopards thus far!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back