Bio cube Filtration best options!

iHateReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated in my previous thread, I’m new to the bio cube family and I’m a week into cycling. I’ve heard mixed reviews on what filtration to put in the back area. My LFS says bio balls are not needed because I have live rock (20LBs). Also I’m not sure between chemi pure, carbon, purigen, ect. Just wondering what people run for their filtration. I’m going to be putting soft corals, LPS, and maybe just maybe one or 2 SPS.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated in my previous thread, I’m new to the bio cube family and I’m a week into cycling. I’ve heard mixed reviews on what filtration to put in the back area. My LFS says bio balls are not needed because I have live rock (20LBs). Also I’m not sure between chemi pure, carbon, purigen, ect. Just wondering what people run for their filtration. I’m going to be putting soft corals, LPS, and maybe just maybe one or 2 SPS.
Dont put anything in except a mechanical sponge for now. All the other stuff is un needed at this point in time.

OP
OP
iHateReefs

iHateReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont put anything in except a mechanical sponge for now. All the other stuff is un needed at this point in time.
Ok sounds good. After my cycling stage what do you recommend. Everyone has different answers just looking for I guess the best option.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds good. After my cycling stage what do you recommend. Everyone has different answers just looking for I guess the best option.
I recommend you test your water frequently. I would only use something added to the water if there was a clear issue.
I do run a carbon reactor in my tanks since i frag my stuff and i have a rather small water volume.
I never ran carbon in my biocube though.

What i favored for that was making the 1st overflow chamber a refugium and have the thick chaeto mat polish my water. It worked great with weekly trimmings of softball size pieces of thick green lush chaeto.

OP
OP
iHateReefs

iHateReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend you test your water frequently. I would only use something added to the water if there was a clear issue.
I do run a carbon reactor in my tanks since i frag my stuff and i have a rather small water volume.

What i favored for that was making the 1st overflow chamber a refugium and have the thick chaeto mat polish my water. It worked great with weekly trimmings of softball size pieces of thick green lush chaeto.
I was planning on running the coral life bio skimmer in the first chamber then bio balls and chemipure in the second chamber. The third will be for my heater and return pump.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on running the coral life bio skimmer in the first chamber then bio balls and chemipure in the second chamber. The third will be for my heater and return pump.
Bioballs not needed if you have liverock. Also chemi pure isnt needed as you arent treating anything yet.
Skimmer good option for aeration though negligible for skimmate collection.

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that you don’t need anything quite yet. I just started but my setup is as follows:
First chamber - heater
Second chamber - Intank media basket and Intank fuge basket. In the media basket I run filter floss on top, chemipure in the middle, and marinepure cubes. I have yet to put chaeto in the fuge basket, but that’s my next step.
Second chamber - nothing yet

Iamnotyourtrigger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Chaeto in the 1st chamber with e 6w grow light is what I am going to do just need enough waste in the tank to go around for everything.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back