Bio media

blackstrat77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I am running a fluvall 207 on my biocube mainly for biological filtration. Fluvall doesnt really give you enough media. I have a TON of old live rock in my basement sitting in a tub. I was thinking of breaking some down into rubble, for bio media. Question is, how do I clean it all before adding it. Im sure there are lots of dead matter within the rock. Would soaking the rubble in bleach work?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider this option: don't do that. Your live rocks carry all filter bac needed in the display. There's not a shortage where piling more in a filter results in better or stronger filtration. You'll only get stronger oxygen competition against fish and no better ammonia control than running the filter totally empty using it only for flow. Empty is easier to clean. We have no use nor need for this in reefing. It's a freshwater carryover habit.

During a power outage, the high surface area packed filter self crashes and can kill your tank if you forget to clean it before electricity back on its a total liability what you're planning. Not harmful as most systems won't see extended power outages but in no way does this help or reinforce your reef, cleaner and the right amount of surface area vs as much as you can pack in is more stable.

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I am running a fluvall 207 on my biocube mainly for biological filtration. Fluvall doesnt really give you enough media. I have a TON of old live rock in my basement sitting in a tub. I was thinking of breaking some down into rubble, for bio media. Question is, how do I clean it all before adding it. Im sure there are lots of dead matter within the rock. Would soaking the rubble in bleach work?
i would "phantom" cycle dose rocks. small tank with saltwater and let it run. add active carbon to remove unwanted stuff.
after a week there should be none bad stuff left.

With bleach i would be worried to get it all out, or make it hard for new bacteria to settle

OP
OP
blackstrat77

blackstrat77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would "phantom" cycle dose rocks. small tank with saltwater and let it run. add active carbon to remove unwanted stuff.
after a week there should be none bad stuff left.

With bleach i would be worried to get it all out, or make it hard for new bacteria to settle
What if did a bleach water soak, rinse thoroughly, let dry thoroughly, then do a soak in rodi water?

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if did a bleach water soak, rinse thoroughly, let dry thoroughly, then do a soak in rodi water?
Because you soak it.
Bleach evaporates at air.
Deep in the rocks is the anerobic Part, do you want there to be bleach?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 111 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back