Bio Pellet

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am re-posting this again to get hopefully some more ideas. I have been using a Pellet reactor for years with outstanding results. One constant maintenance issue is having to clean out the reactor of broken down Pellet. After about a week to 10 days I get a build up of what appears to be a string like slime (kind of like pasta) that is clearly the remains of the pellet. I am wondering if this is normal. From other posting it doesn't seem like it is normal. Most mentioned the need to top off the pellet when they get depleted and disappear. My certainly don't disappear they just create this slimy mess at the top of the reactor( see picture). Then after about 6 weeks I have to tear down the reactor as this slime starts to clog up the bottom plate. I am wondering if there is anything I have setup wrong (to little flow, to much flow, wrong kind of Biopellet) I use NPX Bio Pellet. Could the type of Pellet be the caused or the rotational speed in the reactor. It not a big deal to clean but it would be nice if it didn't happen. Any comments are welcome (like your experience) and if you haven't seen this problem what Pellet are you using. My next step is to play around with different pellet and see if that helps. Thanks all in advance for the comments/recommendation.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_2310.jpeg
    IMG_2310.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 49

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the Bulk Reef Supply Biopellets for years. The only time they’ve got funky, was when using Boyd’s Treatment for Red Cyno-Bacteria. Then I just tossed them and started over. Are they doing a light tumble with 100% of the pellets tumbling. I’m using a LifeReef chamber. BTW, on my established aquarium, I don’t think they are even needed, even though I keep using them. Also after an extended Power Loss there is a chance of harming the Aquarium with them.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe it’s partially a tumbling issue but this has been a constant issue. I am trying a different source for pellet as I did see a couple of reviews with the same complaint about NPX.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perhaps a different biopellet reactor would solve the problem as you did not say what brand or type you are using. I switched from a pretty well know brand due to I could not get enough tumble.I switched to lifegard xl biopellet reactor and this work great, instead of tumbling it causes a spinning cyclone in the tower. I find this works great if you have alot of pellets in the reactor.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I use a reef octopus and it to generate a spin. I actually saw Julian at a trade show and he was thinking that I was causing to effectively tear because they were tumbling too fast. He was surprised the broken down pellets were not be returning to the sump and process by skimmer. I have since reduced flow to more of a lightly tumble. We will see

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back