Bio-spira works great

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a new tank a little over a week ago. I started with all dry rock and new sand. I added a bottle of Bio-Spira and put fish and coral the same day. Never saw any ammonia and fish and coral seem healthy.
20191202_110024.jpg
20191202_110111.jpg
20191202_100519.jpg
20191202_100519.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s amazing and I can use this in some neat example threads, but first I have to ask about the pigmentation penetrating the first quarter inch of the sandbed

You developed that in one total week of running

If so, and it’s faster than normal, it’s not unheard of due to live rock inclusions and nutrients, food webs transfer along with live rock. Decent sized fish bioload and bright white surfaces can get some pigmentation fast but it’s rare

Is that real coralline live rock or painted coralline fake liferock (it’s not bad, but that tells us about helpful bacteria that may or may not be here)

The reason am interrogating lol is because we study skip cycle biology in my threads and if I’m clear on details here, especially if this is life rock vs live rock, then your instant fish and anemone are really a testament to today’s bottle bac engineering.

Even if that is a live rock + anchored anemone transfer from a lfs, great job. People flip out over skip cycle setups but they’ll buy corals from insta reefs at MACNA

This is part of the change in reefing that science brings. There are some things you can do fast in reefing, skipping the entire cycle is one. We usually don’t meet such a brave assembly in here that’s great work if this is a seven day tank

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s also neat is the painted nitrifers from liferock activate in two weeks time they weren’t being used or needed at the start. If that was wet pack sand vs dry when setup, it brought in skip cycle bac and then the bottle bac portion.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might run into a mini cycle with you adding everything at once but I hope doesn’t. Some with also say that’s its to early for anemones. You might have not seen the worst yet.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All ammonia events are within ten hours of bioload introduction in uncycled tanks, and ammonia is the only risky param. Nitrite doesn’t factor at all, and nitrate is for algae tuning. I’m one hundred percent certain it cannot cycle again. Disease protocols are the test.

Cycles are fully a tipping point, there’s no in between measure where things partially cycle. Dr Reefs bottle bac thread shows deposition on surfaces within 48 hrs, we are at seven days

Ammonia either ramps to total wipeout over nite or it remains zero for the life of the tank (or in thousandths if seneye, and if api you’re going to get .25 or .5)

We’ve been able to buy skip cycle bottle bac for five years or better, I’m amazed there aren’t more like this. I cannot recall a single time bottle bac didn’t work, across namebrands, in our large cycle example thread. Even missing food webs that best support anemones and corals are dosable items via today’s hq feed and additives. All entrants at MACNA do this variation or they move live rock and skip cycle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might run into a mini cycle with you adding everything at once but I hope doesn’t. Some with also say that’s its to early for anemones. You might have not seen the worst yet.

I've been in this hobby for a while and had much bigger complex tanks....this is my get back into the hobby tank. I'm not sure why it would be a problem to add a bta if the tank is cycled. People say that the tank needs to be more mature. I'm not quite sure why as long as the water quality is good.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first saw the post I quickly glanced at your join date and knew it couldn’t be first go. Tap= pushing lol I love these types of threads. That system looks great, anems will not open in bad water and you have zero ammonia since it’s not all dead. It’s impossible in reefing to have partial free ammonia given account of all added animals in the tank and verified source water, cycles are all or nothing.

Zero seneye owners report a .25 or .5 in running reefs, and half a million api users do report those exact numbers. I’m shocked your ammonia reads true zero. Matter of fact that’s the most shocking aspect of the whole post. How well you replace, source and replicate food additives will determine that anem health. Agree I’d switch out over time to precise low tds water, but then again some places have good tap it’s your call. Nitrifers are a done deal though.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tested nitrite or nitrate yet....maybe I'll do that and update the thread. I'll see if I can borrow one.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first saw the post I quickly glanced at your join date and knew it couldn’t be first go. Tap= pushing lol I love these types of threads. That system looks great, anems will not open in bad water and you have zero ammonia since it’s not all dead. It’s impossible in reefing to have partial free ammonia given account of all added animals in the tank and verified source water, cycles are all or nothing.

Zero seneye owners report a .25 or .5 in running reefs, and half a million api users do report those exact numbers. I’m shocked your ammonia reads true zero. Matter of fact that’s the most shocking aspect of the whole post. How well you replace, source and replicate food additives will determine that anem health. Agree I’d switch out over time to precise low tds water, but then again some places have good tap it’s your call. Nitrifers are a done deal though.

Ya it is interesting....I remember testing ammonia in my older reef tank and getting .25 always. Now it's really zero...I definitely would like to test nitrite and nitrate. I need to make sure that the bio spira isn't just hiding the ammonia or something.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a very slight green tinge now as it should. I seem to have about 5-10 ppm nitrates as well. I wish I would have done this earlier so I would know how quickly nitrites went down. Good to know I'm fully cycled. My tank is 36 gallons and I used the large bottle of biospira. I dumped half with the set up and the other half the next day.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I came back to the hobby I used Dr Tim’s One & Only and I did wait 48 hours and added 2 fish. Then a week later added 1 more. I did wait til the 4th week to add easy corals and then a month later started adding sps. Happy to say 3 years later tank is still doing good

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back