Biocube 16

TKDScuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question? Is the media basket in biocube 16 sufficient for the tank? Or is the Intank media basket worth upgrade? Also suggestion on setup to use in media basket? Best setup for chambers. Any other must do mods before I add water and get started???? Thanks in advance!!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on your specific question but someone will hopefully help you out.

But welcome to R2R as well!

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to set it up is fill the chambers with small pieces of live rock and maybe leaving the top one empty in case you want to add filter m time to time. Also, I have the protein skimmer which does a pretty decent job. Of course, frequent water changes are your best bet for good water quality maintainance.

OP
OP
TKDScuba

TKDScuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corallife gave me a free skimmed when I bought tank. Some say stock basket is good others say upgrade to Intank media basket? Also some mention adding rock, filter floss, chemipure, purigen, bio balls. What is a recommended store online to purchase these materials? Thanks

Jcat2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question? Is the media basket in biocube 16 sufficient for the tank? Or is the Intank media basket worth upgrade? Also suggestion on setup to use in media basket? Best setup for chambers. Any other must do mods before I add water and get started???? Thanks in advance!!
I have the BioCube LED 32 - my best advice is to go into it knowing the limitations of the product. Just plan on keeping low-light corals and a reasonable fish load and you will be fine. Zoas, frogspawn/hammers, bubble coral, etc. all are fine examples of corals that can work. The biggest benefit of the inTank product is that it better directs water flow over the media. Your media will likely include carbon and a chemical filtration media like chemipure blue or elite (with gfo) per your liking and tank needs. You will need biological filtration too - exactly what size will fit in the chamber I don't know. 16 is small, so it won't take much. Water changes will be your friend lol!

Go slow, and don't run the lights during the cycle. ;)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corallife gave me a free skimmed when I bought tank. Some say stock basket is good others say upgrade to Intank media basket? Also some mention adding rock, filter floss, chemipure, purigen, bio balls. What is a recommended store online to purchase these materials? Thanks
Most of these media options are not necessary. Live rock works wonders as a biological filter and the skimmer is your mechanical filtration. Many corals don’t require such pristine water. If you go the soft coral route or LPS route, they actually won’t do as well with little to no nutrients. I never use carbon or other filter media’s in my two nano tanks.

OP
OP
TKDScuba

TKDScuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks going to start a build thread. I plan on adding 2 clowns, then soft corals a few months later. Tank is a project for my kids and myself. As a long time scuba diver, I’m hoping this will be a good way to introduce the underwater world to my children. I’m assuming to start build thread I just start new thread and name it as my tank build?

OP
OP
TKDScuba

TKDScuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting live rock overnighted from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Going with the package deal. Doing as much reading and research before water even touches tank.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chemipure blue. InTank website. Buy in bulk. Yes, InTank is worth it. Stock filter is inadequate. Ditch the cartridge. Use floss on top of the InTank.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a 16 gallon, I would get one clown. There are lots of fun fish to compliment. Clowns get aggressive in pairs. Tailspot Blennies are really fun to watch. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
TKDScuba

TKDScuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted...was going to let kids pick fish. Son wants clown daughter of course wants Dory...lol. Before I add fish was going to do research and ask for suggestions on fish pairs.

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your plans? That will help us to better suggest things. I had a 29g biocube but went with halide lighting (pre LEDs) and could keep most corals but added a skimmer and had the in tank media basket with floss, carbon and gfo if I remember correctly

Edit: stupid phone didn't show replies

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted...was going to let kids pick fish. Son wants clown daughter of course wants Dory...lol. Before I add fish was going to do research and ask for suggestions on fish pairs.
Dory look alike would be the yellow tail damsel. I had one with a clown in my 29, now he's in my 90. Some say they're aggressive but maybe I got lucky. For a small tank I'd just do weekly water changes, way easier than dealing with all the media. Toss in some carbon every now and then.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a goby/ pistol pair would be fun for the kids too.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

save your money, intank is junk. i used to make those media baskets a long time ago then stopped because i think they are a huge waste of money. the stock one will work just fine. people don’t realize there’s already sufficient flow in the back chamber.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back