Biocube 32 Filtration

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a LED Biocube 32. I am using the stock filtration basket for now. My question is how high should the water be in the back. I see on the 29's there was a high water mark, however my 32 only has a min mark. I filled the back and my media kept floating and I noticed that defeated the purpose of wet/dry. Currently I have the water level with the bottom filter tray. Should I leave it there or change it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own one but I have to assume all the media stays submerged. there should be no wet dry.

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to doing filter floss and 100 micron polishing pad on top, chemi-pure elite and purigen in the 2nd tray. Not sure about doing anything below. Thinking about macroalgae.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my jbj 30 I tried to keep as much stuff out of the back as I could except media and floss. it jsut got too funky.

I think the W/D is an old school thing they just didnt change. With a good amount of live rock you should be golden.
In the JBJ the return was maxijet 1200, so a Lot more return flow so it held it all down and there was a basket system.
you might want to google some Biocube mod clubs.

and with that much chem media I dont think you'd need macros. there wont be much po4 left Id guess to grow them.

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got 30lbs of base rock that hasn't seeded yet and 5.5lbs of some primo live rock. Plus 30ish lbs of live sand. I probably wont do the macro just thinking out loud. Ive seen some mods. Lots of smaller media baskets to allow room for a refugium. Ive hears of some people upgrading to a higher output pump. Ive got a skimmer to go in as well. Might not do a whole lot but we shall see. Does the chemipure and purigen need to be submerged to work? Never really used the stuff. Don't have much for chem filtration on my 55gal tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a chem fan. If it's not needed I don't see a need to use it. Only carbon here. With carbon you want it to pass through. Gfo sand binders it should tumble but a steady flow works too.
Yea the return rates tough cut it can pile up crap in the back or blow it all back in the display.
I did all my WC from the back to keep the funk down and it got funky.
There a 1200w D.C. Variable by Jebao I'd look at that 40 or so.

I'd go really good easy floss sponge mechanical firltration and a really good skimmer.
If the Po is high right off the bat from the rock while it's cycling you can drop gfo in the basket and actually strip it harder than you could with corals in the tank.
Options.

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own one but I have to assume all the media stays submerged. there should be no wet dry.
Yes, love hearing his answers. Sharp, but wetdrys built up carbonized giving pH swings, most get stuck in thinking Aio. Is wet/dry...
Unfortunately, if media above water bacteria dies off. And not using full potential of back filter area.

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because most text doesn't get adjusted, and simple terms get used without regard to print written ten years ago. It helps sell it to for people who Google like a hashtag that just stuck with water falling through uniquarium area or sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back