Biocube cracking?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys are biocubes known to crack? My wife got me mine in April and it cracked two days ago. It’s been fine for six months. The Cora life rep said they increased the glass thickness just to prevent this. Should I be worried about the replacement they are sending me?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have not seen that to be a problem I think you are fine.

even though moving the living material over is usually people just moving it all, there have been some loss posts lately on tank transfers and it has to do with sand transfers.

if you want 100% success moving over without a cycle I recommend consult skip cycle move threads, losses are zero. Just moving stuff fails about 30% of the time

no issues on cracking at large, all my friends use these tanks. The old ones.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

even though moving the living material over is usually people just moving it all, there have been some loss posts lately on tank transfers and it has to do with sand transfers.

if you want 100% success moving over without a cycle I recommend consult skip cycle move threads, losses are zero. Just moving stuff fails about 30% of the time

Are the new ones different from the old ones? Do they use the 32s or the 29? The 32 is slightly taller ans some have suggested that is the reason for the cracking.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32s and yours was the first I'd heard in cracking from years of posts on them, they're all using the crack prone ones since post history goes back years and years

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat as a rare event and just reef in the new one coming. if it cracks then id xfer into a different brand altogether

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat as a rare event and just reef in the new one coming. if it cracks then id xfer into a different brand altogether
Well I’ve been running a nanocube 29 for literally like 10 years. It’s curved, and a total piece of trash and it hasn’t cracked. I think it may be due to where I had mine near a window. It may have thermocycled or something.

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracking no but mine started leaking at the seem. It started as a "wow that is an odd place for salt creep" Then went to "oh crap the top of the stand is moist." Thankfully it was slow enough to give me enough time to transfer everything.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I don’t do sand transfers. It stirs up too much junk that’s held in the sand. I’ll be buying new sand and moving everyone. Done multiple moves and not lost anyone yet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back