Biocube rimless mod

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I want to make my Biocube rimless but it is stocked etc..What would be the best way to go about this? drain the water and take out the live stock while doing it? or am i just stuck with the rim for now? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be dangerous. Is the rim connected to the filtration on the back what model is it.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be dangerous. Is the rim connected to the filtration on the back what model is it.
I've seen a ton of people do it so I don't think it's too dangerous. Maybe dangerous with it stocked but doesn't seem to be a problem in general. I'm not sure what model but I bought it this year.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem if empty but if stocked and an accidental crack occurs then u really have a problem on your hands. Is the rim connected to the filtration area?

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem if empty but if stocked and an accidental crack occurs then u really have a problem on your hands. Is the rim connected to the filtration area?
It is but the people ive seen do it, cut where it's connected and there is no issue. It's a fairly common mod but I'll probably wait to do it when I move and have to take the tank down for a bit. I just hate the way the rim looks with the top off. Thanks though!

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is but the people ive seen do it, cut where it's connected and there is no issue. It's a fairly common mod but I'll probably wait to do it when I move and have to take the tank down for a bit. I just hate the way the rim looks with the top off. Thanks though!
You the same guy I posted on about the light a little while ago lol just realized that. You get a new light yet? I've never thought of making my tank rimless but with the sps just starting to grow faster I would not try this myself lol.

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I've been thinking about doing the same mod!

Attachments

• 20210128_180151.jpg
    20210128_180151.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broke the tank down and took the rim off. It wasn't that hard. Got a used ai prime hd. Love it. Had to deal with the evaporation and got a gravity fed ato.

IMG_20210122_194148804.jpg

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Broke the tank down and took the rim off. It wasn't that hard. Got a used ai prime hd. Love it. Had to deal with the evaporation and got a gravity fed ato.

IMG_20210122_194148804.jpg
How'd you end up taking the lid off, what tools? I want to remove my black rim too.
Thanks

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd you end up taking the lid off, what tools? I want to remove my black rim too.
Thanks
I used a hand saw and cut through where it meets the filter area. Then I made a cut on each corner. Be careful and go slow so you don't scratch the glass. Then I took fishing line and went under the rim moving it back and forth until I separated the rim from the tank. After that I took a razor blade to all of the silicon that was left. It was tedious but definitely worth it. There are a few videos on youtube. Also make sure your tank is empty.

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I used a hand saw and cut through where it meets the filter area. Then I made a cut on each corner. Be careful and go slow so you don't scratch the glass. Then I took fishing line and went under the rim moving it back and forth until I separated the rim from the tank. After that I took a razor blade to all of the silicon that was left. It was tedious but definitely worth it. There are a few videos on youtube. Also make sure your tank is empty.
Thank you for explaing the process! The fishing line is a great idea!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back