BioDenitrator Confusion

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My journey began about 2 months ago when I installed a Korallen BioDenitrator on my 180g cube fed with an Aqualifter.

After following the included directions, my effluent was still measuring NO3 equal to the tank at the 7-8 week mark. I read somewhere on these forums that trapped air could be the cause and to upgrade the pump.

I banged out a decent amount of air by basically shaking the reactor until no more bubbles surfaced and were pumped out. I then used my manifold and upgraded 3/8" tubing to power the reactor.

What am I missing? Will this start the timer over again?

Also - i did notice Alk consumption go up after adding the reactor which should mean that the reactor is working.

What should be my next steps here? I currently went back to the beginning @ 1 drip per 2 seconds and plan to wait a week to test.

Any advice is hugely appreciated.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also come to realize basically no one uses these things.

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see the drip rate. Do you allow the gas to release from the unit using the degasser?

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see the drip rate. Do you allow the gas to release from the unit using the degasser?
The top valve? yes. Having a lot more pressure from the manifold vs. the aqualifter def helped.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or do you mean use the top valve as the sole output? Do i need to periodically de-gas the unit?

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran mine it was tee’d off my manifold. Biggest issue I ever had was keeping a steady flow rate as the output line builds up at the end and would clog if I didn’t pay attention. I really liked the unit and it worked very good at keeping my nitrates right where I wanted them just by adjusting my flow. I still have the unit, it’s just not big enough anymore.
Also you may need to degas it off and on but I found that after a few months that was no longer an issue.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran mine it was tee’d off my manifold. Biggest issue I ever had was keeping a steady flow rate as the output line builds up at the end and would clog if I didn’t pay attention. I really liked the unit and it worked very good at keeping my nitrates right where I wanted them just by adjusting my flow. I still have the unit, it’s just not big enough anymore.
Also you may need to degas it off and on but I found that after a few months that was no longer an issue.

What could be my issue though? It has been running in some way shape or form for 2 months. No noticeable drop in NO3. Very confused as I know these can be very effective units.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The confusion continues. Anybody an expert on these?

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked again - at the 12 week mark and the effluent is testing the same as the tank. What can be happening here?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your nitrate level coming from the tank and what is coming out of your reactor?

bluewill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using and building slow flow denitrification units units in the late in 1990's , after Albert Theil showed me some pictures of them in use in Germany and told me how effective they were . I had followed some years ago discussions about using sulfur as a media in some commercial wastewater treatment applications. the rationale in those commercial applications was that heterotrophic biological denitrification needed an external carbon source to be added and it was more cost effective for municipalities to switch to sulfur based systems to save money. In the early days of external denitrification for our reef tanks , or at least in my early experiences, these slow flow units did not require an external source of carbon to feed the aenerobic bacteria . at that time their were some people here in florida that started dosing an external carbon source in the form of glucose into their denitrifiers because they felt it would increase their efficiencies.I never needed to supplement . I ran a couple of these on my my tanks and they were always extremely effective , and output was always nitrate free, although it took some tinkering with flow , especially as nitrate buildup in the system was decreasing. I never added an external source of carbon , and presumed that excess C02 in the system water would always provide enough carbon to keep the units healthy and working as they should. they worked Great !!!
I don't see much difference in these units using suffer based media ,as the process is still the same . it used to take about 6-8 weeks to cycle a external denitrifier in a mature system. i remember once starting one on a newer low bioload tank and it took forever to cycle i think 6 months.
the key is always flow rate . you need anaerobic conditions . I see these units run off pumps , old school denitrifies always were gravity fed. i could see that the input being to close to the output of a skimmer would cause less than ideal (low oxygen) conditions inside the unit. Is their a layer of air at top , and if so is it leaking in , or hydrogen sulfide ( rotten eggs smell ) being produced by unit .My units also needed to be degassed of hydrogen sulfide , but this meant the unit was working . this is simple technology anaerobic conditions will harbor the proper bacteria to reduce nitrates. I would suggest if no hydrogen sulfide smelled to lower flow rate .

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using and building slow flow denitrification units units in the late in 1990's , after Albert Theil showed me some pictures of them in use in Germany and told me how effective they were . I had followed some years ago discussions about using sulfur as a media in some commercial wastewater treatment applications. the rationale in those commercial applications was that heterotrophic biological denitrification needed an external carbon source to be added and it was more cost effective for municipalities to switch to sulfur based systems to save money. In the early days of external denitrification for our reef tanks , or at least in my early experiences, these slow flow units did not require an external source of carbon to feed the aenerobic bacteria . at that time their were some people here in florida that started dosing an external carbon source in the form of glucose into their denitrifiers because they felt it would increase their efficiencies.I never needed to supplement . I ran a couple of these on my my tanks and they were always extremely effective , and output was always nitrate free, although it took some tinkering with flow , especially as nitrate buildup in the system was decreasing. I never added an external source of carbon , and presumed that excess C02 in the system water would always provide enough carbon to keep the units healthy and working as they should. they worked Great !!!
I don't see much difference in these units using suffer based media ,as the process is still the same . it used to take about 6-8 weeks to cycle a external denitrifier in a mature system. i remember once starting one on a newer low bioload tank and it took forever to cycle i think 6 months.
the key is always flow rate . you need anaerobic conditions . I see these units run off pumps , old school denitrifies always were gravity fed. i could see that the input being to close to the output of a skimmer would cause less than ideal (low oxygen) conditions inside the unit. Is their a layer of air at top , and if so is it leaking in , or hydrogen sulfide ( rotten eggs smell ) being produced by unit .My units also needed to be degassed of hydrogen sulfide , but this meant the unit was working . this is simple technology anaerobic conditions will harbor the proper bacteria to reduce nitrates. I would suggest if no hydrogen sulfide smelled to lower flow rate .

SO here's the thing and ill try to hit on all the points you touched.

-The intake is fed via manifold and not by anything near a skimmer.
-There is no layer of air at the top*
-Flow right now is about a drip per second.
-No rotten eggs smell.

*When I switched from the aqualifter to the manifold I shook, jarred, and rattled a bunch of air out from inside the unit. Does this mean it never actually started to cycle? If so should I follow the manufacturers instructions from the beginning?

Questions:

Should I shut off effluent completely and just let it recirculate?
How will I know if/when I need to degas?

Thanks in advance for any insight - I am losing my mind over this.

bluewill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure what you mean by manifold ? a water pump ?
the unit must be air free.
are the input ,out put, and air release written in german on the unit ? if so check directions again to make sure they are connected properly , if output and input are switched unit will not work at all

is the output above the water line so you can count the drips ?
you will need to start again if nitrates are not reducing the unit never cycled

again their should be no air inside , after a day or so you can tap unit , if you see air their is a leak letting air in , don't worry about degassing at all until units is working . because no denitrifying bacteria equals no outgassing . if you see any air inside unit within the first 3-4 weeks, its air leaking in from somewhere and that means the unit will never cycle properly
good luck

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah manifold is just fed from my main pump.

Maybe i have to re cycle the unit -_-

How will i know if its correct this time?

Todd1white

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah manifold is just fed from my main pump.

Maybe i have to re cycle the unit -_-

How will i know if its correct this time?
I bought the Kamoer FX-STP continuous doser to feed the Korallin. Turns out it also controls the drip rate via a wheel knob, which is easier for me than the little flow switch on the unit. Maybe it's pushing less air? I haven't seen any air in the reactor and it was pretty easy to tell when the air stopped coming and going thru the lines in the beginning. It's going to create it's own gas eventually, I think, and that's when you need to bleed/de-gas the buildup inside. I'm just starting it up and you're right... there's not a lot of knowledge out there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back