Bioload - How to gain perspective?

65Naja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am seeing one reference that is not clear to me as I believe a perspective is missing. For example when some who is very petite says "That meal has large portions" and someone who plays linemen for a professional football team says "That meal has large portions" even though the same words are said, they mean two totally different things. So adding in the perspective provides an understanding to the reference. Without that perspective the reference carries significantly less meaning.

The reason I bring this up is the reference to bioload, can someone provide the missing perspective.

In general it is defined by the amount of life existing in an aquarium, but I question that. To me and as it is used as a measurement, it isn't really the life what the waste that life produces. More as a level of bio-saturation, how much a given volume of water/bacteria can organically process. For example. A 20 gallon tank with a single 2" fish that is fed 1 cube of food 4 times a day has a heavier bioload than the same size tank (20 gallon) with four 2" fish that collectively are fed 1 cube once a day. The first tank with the single fish tank has to organically process much more wasted food than the second tank. Doesn't that mean it has a heavier bioload. So not really a measure of life but a measure of waste.

Why ask? - Skimmers and similar filtration equipment reference bioload as a measure to properly size the equipment we purchase. With this in mind, how do you determine where you fall, are you the petite person or the linemen when you say "I have a <blank> bioload.
I would love some sort of perspective even a calculation to determine the level of bioload.

Not a true calculation -- Does your tank have Heavy, Medium or a Low Bioload?
To determine -
Take the total volume of water in (Gallons) in your circulating system and divide it by the total inches of fish in the tank.
Not ignoring life as it does count toward amount of waste.
170 gallons (divided by) 5 x 3" fish, + 9 x 1" fish, + 2 x 4" fish or 32" of fish --- equals --- 5.31 gal / inch of fish
That takes care of the fish waste so take that number and divide it by the following selected number
Pick 1, 2 or 3 (Select the number that describes your feedings)
-- Pick 1 if nothing really falls to the bottom of the tank or goes into filtration, and your fish may even eat more if you gave it to them
-- Pick 2 if some food falls to the bottom and on rocks and get filtered out, but your fish eat good, nobody is missing out
-- Pick 3 if more than some falls to the bottom, on rocks, to filter feeders and into the filtration system, fish are very well fed
Results would be 5.31 / (1, 2 or 3) = Bioload value

I have no idea what the number separations would be but something like
If the result is greater than 5 you have a low bioload, <= 5 but > 2.5 you have a medium bioload, and <= 2.5 you have a heavy bioload.

Thoughts, How do you really determine bioload when asked? or do you just "Lick your finger and hold it into the wind"

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surface area dynamics are in my opinion the hidden mechanism our hobby does not factor very often

its not just about bacteria, they must have attachment points and the ones we use in reefing (sand, rocks) are all filled up when the cycle completes.

Specifically, bacteria do not stack on extra layers upon layers of bacteria when we have high bioload or low bioload tanks.

The layering is affected by water shear, nutrient delivery etc/many factors so the surface area becomes the hidden gem in what you are asking if I'm reading correctly. this also gives bacteria the ability to not die off, reduce layers, during extended fallow sessions. We have a three year fallow test on file where rocks sat in a garage passed oxidation

We have a sand bed removal thread where for 35 pages we remove sandbeds instantly, in any reef that wants to join, and the same fish + feed loading adapted to sand + rock now only has rock surface area to manage it, a great loss taken, all at once.

and none of our reefs recycle, 35 pages, when its 67 pages, wont be a recycle

because live rock surface area is so massively overdone, and strong, what we remove surrounding it does not matter.

I have only seen one reef in 20 years of online reefing that had such low live rock we had a concern about its surface area. the other two million reefs had way too much surface area, and needed cleaning.

We are free to add and subtract functional surface area in reef tanks, without consequence, if we have the right nh3 testers hooked up to see what's really going on.

Dr Tim told me in a thread once the remaining bacteria on rocks can simply elect to work harder, oxidize more ammonia for the increased loading.

surface area dynamics + bacteria working harder to process more waste is at work

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the limiting factor in the attainable bioload (aside from aggression between organisms) is not about equilibrium conditions, but what happens in an emergency which will eventually happen.

Power failure, overdosed additive, dead fish releasing substantial ammonia or toxins, other organisms suddenly spawning and lowering O2, etc.

That's what usually kills a tank, and the more fish in it, the faster it goes bad.

OP
OP
65Naja

65Naja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the comments. You reference the aspect of considering what else is handling the bioload.
So it really is a question of how much of the overall bioload is needed per each portion of total filtration or each selected piece of equipment.
Total Bioload
Minus
The amount of bioload processed by the surface area bacteria (directly related to amount available)
Minus
The amount of bioload processed by the roller filter
Minus
The amount of bioload processed by the skimmer
Minus
The amount of bioload processed by the UV or Algae Scrubber, etc.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total Bioload
Minus
The amount of bioload processed by the surface area bacteria (directly related to amount available)
Minus
The amount of bioload processed by the roller filter
Minus
The amount of bioload processed by the skimmer
Minus
The amount of bioload processed by the UV or Algae Scrubber, etc.

How would one know what in any given aquarium is processing the bioload without hugely complicated studies?

For example, it seems impossibly difficult for a reef hobbyist to know if the macroalgae in his or her aquarium is taking up ammonia as its source of nitrogen, or taking up nitrate after some other organism (such as bacteria) has converted ammonia to nitrate.

In my reef tank, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that there was almost no bacterial nitrification taking place.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back