Biota Marine Betta in a 40G breeder for a year?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering getting a marine betta from Biota. They just came back in stock recently. My 126G tank is on hold until my home remodel is done. I currently have a 40G breeder tank (houses a pair of clowns and a few anemones that I don't feed), and was wondering if it would suffice for a captive bred betta for about a year?

The ones from Biota seem to be small for now, and captive bred. I don't think I have any concerns around bioload.

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bettas on sale now are 2.5-4”. If you are able to get a 2.5” it will give you time. But the clowns are territorial and may not like their new neighbor. Bettas are non aggressive and may not be able to handle 2 clowns. The 4” may fair better with the clowns but the bioload will increase, causing a need for more water changes.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends imo.

If you have some nice holes for it to hide in you might be okay.

I’ve seen a breeding pair in a 75G and they never ventured more than a foot from their spawning area (only fish in tank).

Another single one in a huge 1000G+ round pond would travel throughout the whole tank but didn’t bother or get bothered by anyone. (Dwarf angles, mandarins, fox face and heniochus)

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bettas on sale now are 2.5-4”. If you are able to get a 2.5” it will give you time. But the clowns are territorial and may not like their new neighbor. Bettas are non aggressive and may not be able to handle 2 clowns. The 4” may fair better with the clowns but the bioload will increase, causing a need for more water changes.
Bioload isn't a problem (I had a lot more fish in there with an avast plank dishing out tons of food, but recently moved the other fish).

Not sure if I can guarantee get a 2.5". I'll just skip for now.

Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a problem, they do grow slow so outgrowing is not an issue, and bioload is never an issue, always a remedy. As far as aggression goes, clowns do not pursuit, they are just territorial and will tend to be out and with their anemone, while the betta will more likely be a cave dweller, so provide caves and they'll be fine.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering getting a marine betta from Biota. They just came back in stock recently. My 126G tank is on hold until my home remodel is done. I currently have a 40G breeder tank (houses a pair of clowns and a few anemones that I don't feed), and was wondering if it would suffice for a captive bred betta for about a year?

The ones from Biota seem to be small for now, and captive bred. I don't think I have any concerns around bioload.

Chances are it wouldn't be a problem. I kept a marine betta in my 60 cube 24x24x24" for about six years. He was initially quite small and eventually was about 5-6" in length and grew slowlys. I kept him in there with a pair of occelaris clowns and didn't have any problems. Although clearly territorial clown are possibility, I think the likelihood of significant problem aggression is low.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Historically, my clownfish haven't shown any problems with other fish. They're still pretty small and have lived in a magnifica (also small) for 5 years now. A few chromis have shared the anemone with them (weirdly) in the past and they never cared. I don't worry too much about the clowns and aggression, though you'll never know.

One thing I'll need to change, I have very few rocks in the tank at the moment, I may need to build up some caves.

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clowns are super friendly. The snowflake clowns I had were the opposite. That was my biggest concern. Bettas grow very slow. I had one for 10 years, he went from 3.5" to 4.5" in my 220g, he did love overhangs to spend most of the day.

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota does try to accommodate special request. Definitely send them a message about what size betta you want.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Should be fine. They aren't super active swimmers so a smaller tank, especially if you're going to upgrade, is fine. As others have said, give it lots of hiding places.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had a pair in a 20h refugium for a year. They were tiny, like 1.5” when i got them. probably 4”+ now and about to be moved. Video is them today

Back