Biota Yellow Tang review

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is a regional thing or what but besides prices increasing a little for wholesale there hasn't been a shortage for us for yellow tangs. In fact a local distributor will sometimes have upwards of fifty on hand in a variety of sizes. If I wanted to I could get dozens tomorrow without issue. The price increase that you see in retail stores is rather artificial as the price increase from wholesalers is rather small. Again this might be regional or maybe it feels like there is more of a shortage because it seems like websites like live aquaria are always out of them and selling small yellow tangs for about 120 bucks. Source: I own a fish store in Chicago lol.

I will say I believe and hope that captive bred fish are the future as it is obviously much more sustainable than wild caught fish, and I'm glad to see more people are getting captive bred fish when available.
Since they use chemicals to shock fish into submitting for wild capture, I agree captive fish should be the way to go. I lost a Lavender Tang today. She started to breathe heavy not eating, and hide under corals. I took her out gave her a fresh water dip correctly in fact I used pond water same temp everything and nothing no flukes, no ich, no velvet. I have a microscope. No sign of disease at all. No sign of bacteria. Upon putting her back into the tank, she died. Before I took her out I had to chase a little and she dropped to the sand and that is how I was able to catch her. She was a fat fish. Maybe I should have waited and did nothing to see if her body could get her out of it. I wonder if some kind of damage was done to get her into the pet trade and it was coming out now. I am sad I liked that fish. I tried to help her.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back