Biota Yellow Tang review

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not being a white knight but it says on their site that they postpone shipping as weather permits.
I was supposed to get an order last week which was postponed. Thank God

Coz Memphis was a mess and fedex and UPS were backed up.

So they do watch for weather. I have previously purchases items that were shipped on time.
It's due to covid. Got a message. But @dMiles got his before me and ordered after. Eh, it'll come. Sooner or later.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this little guy about a month ago...he came like this missing a bit of skin/scales down his face and lateral line, hoping it will grow over but idk. Anyone else receive theirs missing head or lateral line scales?

20220114_141107.jpg

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this little guy about a month ago...he came like this missing a bit of skin/scales down his face and lateral line, hoping it will grow over but idk. Anyone else receive theirs missing head or lateral line scales?

20220114_141107.jpg
Not missing, just hasn't colored in yet. Give it time. See picture 1st post this thread.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220114_141107.jpg
That’s HLLE, I think better diets help it improve but I can’t remember.

SEWIreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tank from Biota and it came in about 1.5" and pale. It has since colored up and grown significantly. I am very happy with this captive raised option.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will report back in like another month and let u guys know how its going, definitely hasnt gotten worse since day one and he has colored up but time will tell

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tank from Biota and it came in about 1.5" and pale. It has since colored up and grown significantly. I am very happy with this captive raised option.
Post a picture from what I understand the captive yellow don’t have the color of the wild caught yellows.

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will report back in like another month and let u guys know how its going, definitely hasnt gotten worse since day one and he has colored up but time will tell
I got a blue a while back with major head and lateral line diesease. Took a while most is gone I did 3 fresh Water dips with methylene blue Over about 3 week time frame. Then lots of space to swim and nori along with vitamins and variety of foods. I would say about 85% gone so far and it’s only been a month since it went into display.

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no problem. They look like a regular Yellow Tang. Great color, typical ****** attitude towards others, all that good stuff :)

There were some earlier comments regarding captive bred tangs not having the pectoral fin that you see in a wild specimen, I do not believe that to be the case. Not a real great picture but a quick one. The light is causing an odd reflection off its face and the pectorals aren't fully extended. It's screwing around with the Coral Beauty I also received from Biota, which btw is very striking in color. The photo here is without a filter so it's washing the color out. They are easily twice as bright as wild caught. Lots of bright orange fills the body.

2022-01-12_18-44-50.png
Looks like a lot of white on the face. I would wait to buy a wild caught once prices drop

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers to Biota for doing something no one else has. All of you poopooing on the price raise. It's going to be moot in a few months. Those of us that have been in the hobby for years, or a decade, or 4 decades. We think of yellow tangs as that fish that was $14.99 at the fish store. Any crappy pet store that ever had a 'salt' section had damsels, yellow tangs, and a stupid maroon clown that bites you. We walk into the nicest fish store and we don't even glance at the tank packed with all those bright yellow fish... Why cause we have been spoiled and brainwashed that a purple, or a black polka dot is much cooler than a $14.99 fish. But 95% of the hobbyists, in our beloved hobby, are in it for less than 10 months.

Within a year to 18 months, people walking into fish stores, or clicking on Live Aquaria, are not going to know anything about tanks filled with yellow tangs. People are going to look at a tank of Purple Tangs for $200, a tank of Gem Tangs for $400 and then 2 or 3 cubes with Biota Yellow Tang fors $500 - And not think twice about buying a bright yellow fish to fill their new reef tank - Rather than one of those dull and dark fish for a few dollars left - Who would be so dumb to buy one of those - when you get so much more in a yellow.

Many of us are gagging at the thought of such a future. And being someone that owned more than 30 zebrasoma 2 weeks ago. And as of 1 week ago now owns over 60. I can't imagine a future where I am in this hobby and don't have a pack of zebrasoma in my display tank.

But in my display tank. As of a week ago Monday. To justify the cost they are and they are going to be. I don't have wild tangs, I don't have Captive bred tangs. I have a school of "OG Hawaiian Gold "Tangs. Soon they will be worth their wait in gold. It's a fish that can live more than 20 years. I have several that are over 14 years and not even 4" across yet.

Those scoffing at the upcoming price of a yellow. Those poopooing Biota for raising their price on a product that they are the only supplier of in the entire world - You're all Primma Donnas.

Almost a year ago all of you, or your wives, paid a fortune for toilet paper when it ran from the shelves of the market. There are a multitude of brands of TP. And we all knew there was TP still being made, and one day they would be back on the shelves.

As of today - Biota was the only group with the foresight to produce yellow tangs, before they were collectors items. $120 to $200 - When you're not the only game in town, you're the only game on the planet. That's nothing. We should be showing our appreciation. And Biota didn't raise the price first - the online dealers did, because they could. Biota raising their retail prices to support their wholesale customers - That's not price gouging. That's supporting the companies that have been supporting you for the past few years. Biota didn't set the new price. They just raised their own retail price to not undercut their own customers.

Now if I could understand how they can produce Tangs for $120 or $200 but the Dejongi I want are still $1500 for a fish that is all around Cuba, after Cuba came off the no catchy - No Bring to Capitalist Pig with Fish tank list -- Well now that's a story I would like to hear :)

You might disagree with what I said. You may think I'm wrong. But before you post your opinions to what I wrote, wait 3,6,9,12 months and resurrect this thread and see who was right and who was wrong. I don't think I'm going to be wrong. But I do know BIOTA was RIGHT, all along :)

Dave B
Bs bro im Not going to lie I’m not a fan of the yellows they bring to the market. They dont Have the color and come with imperfections. Have them fix the issues instead of flooding the web with positive reviews.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bs bro im Not going to lie I’m not a fan of the yellows they bring to the market. They dont Have the color and come with imperfections. Have them fix the issues instead of flooding the web with positive reviews.
Screenshot_20220115-215230.png

Still mild HLLE but I don't think the guy could be any more yellow. Also what makes you think prices will ever drop on wild caught yellows? Unless the Hawaii bam reverses they aren't gonna go down.

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well sure they have yellow along with imperfections of white around their faces. That is pretty common. Prices always fluctuate and artificially inflated prices will eventually come down

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a blue a while back with major head and lateral line diesease. Took a while most is gone I did 3 fresh Water dips with methylene blue Over about 3 week time frame. Then lots of space to swim and nori along with vitamins and variety of foods. I would say about 85% gone so far and it’s only been a month since it went into display.

Trying to be honest with my review, it isnt brighter or anything it is just a regular yellow tang but missing some scales and skin like i said, maybe it is just a maturation thing so we will see soon, i dont think it will go away fully but trying to be optimistic.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tried to get a pic of its face the best i could to show that they may still be having these issues but we will see if it persists long term for my specific specimen

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220115-215230.png

Still mild HLLE but I don't think the guy could be any more yellow. Also what makes you think prices will ever drop on wild caught yellows? Unless the Hawaii bam reverses they aren't gonna go down.
Indonesian yellows, once they’re MUCH more obtainable their prices will drop.
I think it needs to be more known that Yellow Tangs aren’t a Hawaiian endemic like Anampses chrysocephalus or Cirrhilabrus jordani. I mean, the Convict tang is known to not just be a Hawaiian endemic yet the yellow tang all I hear is “The price won’t drop unless Hawaii opens the ban” or “The only way we can get YTs is through the Captive Breeding”.

Another thing I don’t like about the Captive Bred tangs that come to markets is the issues they have. No wild yellow tang will have a bright white marking on the face. They also have HLLE (Both YTs and PTs).

Last edited:

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indonesian yellows, once they’re MUCH more obtainable their prices will drop.
I think it needs to be more known that Yellow Tangs aren’t a Hawaiian endemic like Anampses chrysocephalus or Cirrhilabrus jordani. I mean, the Convict tang is known to not just be a Hawaiian endemic yet the yellow tang all I hear is “The price won’t drop unless Hawaii opens the ban” or “The only way we can get YTs is through the Captive Breeding”.
How common are they actually thugh? Why wouldn't in Indonesida where they already collect fish be cashing in? It's not like its different from catching a tomni tang, chromis or any other fish they already mass export.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How common are they actually thugh? Why wouldn't in Indonesida where they already collect fish be cashing in? It's not like its different from catching a tomni tang, chromis or any other fish they already mass export.
Depths of where certain fish come from matters also, collectors didn’t get the indo yellows because all of the money was from people buying Hawaiians. I’m pretty sure if you went to the distributor of your country you’d find 2-3 Indonesian yellows.

It’s stupid if they’re going to breed these fish but have the fish end up with deformities.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depths of where certain fish come from matters also, collectors didn’t get the indo yellows because all of the money was from people buying Hawaiians. I’m pretty sure if you went to the distributor of your country you’d find 2-3 Indonesian yellows.

It’s stupid if they’re going to breed these fish but have the fish end up with deformities.

Eh I've had 3. 2 of 3 were perfect cosmetically. The 3rd you only notice if your heads in front of the tank and you stare at it. If there was ample supply of them I don't buy they wouldn't be cashing in on it. Their depth isn't gonna be different from other fish already collected.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back