Biota Yellow Tang review

dMiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid $214.00 from Biota for a YT & a Coral beauty and that includes shipping. Did the acclimation according to Biota. Temp float, pop and drop and both are doing well. Been in the tank for 3 hrs now and already grazing.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid $214.00 from Biota for a YT & a Coral beauty and that includes shipping. Did the acclimation according to Biota. Temp float, pop and drop and both are doing well. Been in the tank for 3 hrs now and already grazing.
@dMiles how did you get that price? I'm seeing a total of $238 in my cart for a YT and CB from Biota...

Last edited:

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got a yellow tang from algae barn. Said it was 1-1.5 inches. When we got it opened they shipped a 3 inch one. Super happy with it. Paid $200 shipped. This was the first day next to a 6 inch pvc.

Attachments

• 141C1617-8B2A-4972-BCE2-C464ED6E8039.jpeg
    141C1617-8B2A-4972-BCE2-C464ED6E8039.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 84

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tfeeken any updated pics of yours? I’m not finding too many pics of those that’s are older than just arrived

OP
OP
T

tfeeken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tfeeken any updated pics of yours? I’m not finding too many pics of those that’s are older than just arrived

Yeah no problem. They look like a regular Yellow Tang. Great color, typical ****** attitude towards others, all that good stuff :)

There were some earlier comments regarding captive bred tangs not having the pectoral fin that you see in a wild specimen, I do not believe that to be the case. Not a real great picture but a quick one. The light is causing an odd reflection off its face and the pectorals aren't fully extended. It's screwing around with the Coral Beauty I also received from Biota, which btw is very striking in color. The photo here is without a filter so it's washing the color out. They are easily twice as bright as wild caught. Lots of bright orange fills the body.

2022-01-12_18-44-50.png

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks for the quick follow up. Definitely some good color!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can no longer receive a Yellow Tang from Hawaii, all that is available is what is left in the supply chain. When that's gone, that's it beyond captive aquaculture.
Correction, Yellow Tangs also come from Indonesia, this is how we manage to find the odd Yellow x Scopas Hybrid.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no problem. They look like a regular Yellow Tang. Great color, typical ****** attitude towards others, all that good stuff :)

There were some earlier comments regarding captive bred tangs not having the pectoral fin that you see in a wild specimen, I do not believe that to be the case. Not a real great picture but a quick one. The light is causing an odd reflection off its face and the pectorals aren't fully extended. It's screwing around with the Coral Beauty I also received from Biota, which btw is very striking in color. The photo here is without a filter so it's washing the color out. They are easily twice as bright as wild caught. Lots of bright orange fills the body.

2022-01-12_18-44-50.png
That’s a very nice tang, I like the yellows but im not willing to pay £220 for a fish that I know gets aggressive and probably wont get along with many of my other fish.

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Verify ship dates with Biota. Right now I'm getting the runaround for an accurate ship date. It's now starting to feel like "we'll ship it when we can." I'm a little ticked because they told me it would be here Wednesday, cleared my schedule to receive it, then get a message saying sorry, we didnt send it. Now, i'm concerned if the fish are being properly cared for if they don't even have the staff to ship. Yeah I know, omicron... but dont mislead people.. @Biota_Marine edit- got another email. They’re trying their best with a short staff.

Last edited:

BigRick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verify ship dates with Biota. Right now I'm getting the runaround for an accurate ship date. It's now starting to feel like "we'll ship it when we can." I'm a little ticked because they told me it would be here Wednesday, cleared my schedule to receive it, then get a message saying sorry, we didnt send it. Now, i'm concerned if the fish are being properly cared for if they don't even have the staff to ship. Yeah I know, omicron... but dont lie to people.. @Biota_Marine
It's probably more to do with the weather.

dMiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verify ship dates with Biota. Right now I'm getting the runaround for an accurate ship date. It's now starting to feel like "we'll ship it when we can." I'm a little ticked because they told me it would be here Wednesday, cleared my schedule to receive it, then get a message saying sorry, we didnt send it. Now, i'm concerned if the fish are being properly cared for if they don't even have the staff to ship. Yeah I know, omicron... but dont mislead people.. @Biota_Marine edit- got another email. They’re trying their best with a short staff.
I ordered on the 7th and requested to be delivered on the 12th. They shipped on the 11th and I got them on the 12th. When did you order, where is it going and how is your weather there? Different factors causes delays but you just think 5hey are trying to deceive you? You are really not that important.

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I ordered on the 7th and requested to be delivered on the 12th. They shipped on the 11th and I got them on the 12th. When did you order, where is it going and how is your weather there? Different factors causes delays but you just think 5hey are trying to deceive you? You are really not that important.
ordered 12/29. told twice of shipping dates that didnt happen. You're telling me you wouldnt be upset? San Diego is 78 degrees today.

So, before you start accusing entitlement, know the whole story first.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not being a white knight but it says on their site that they postpone shipping as weather permits.
I was supposed to get an order last week which was postponed. Thank God

Coz Memphis was a mess and fedex and UPS were backed up.

So they do watch for weather. I have previously purchases items that were shipped on time.

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wait, now i'm more annoyed because you ordered after me and still received before me... grrrr. Im really a nice guy. Just annoyed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back