Bipartitus Leopard Wrasse

bdub22rhp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys I added a bipartitus leopard wrasse to my display 2 weeks ago. My LFS held her for me for 2 weeks in their back QT (I'm pretty tight with the owner). After a few days it came out from sand and I witnessed it eating mysis a few times before I brought it home. It was fat and healthy. I floated, dripped, and placed in an acclimation box with some Tupperware that had some sand in it cause I was scared my exquisite or whip fin might take offense to it. They could have cared less when it was floating and the hour it was out in the acclimation box. As expected it buried completely in the Tupperware. That night I checked on it cause I read they come from the other side of the earth and their sleep cycle is during out daytime and it was out around 4 am. However it was panicking and couldn't figure out how to get back in the Tupperware. Like an idiot I let it out after watching it for about 20 minutes struggle and stress out. It swam the bottom of tank iradically for a few minutes and then my baby started crying upstairs and of course when I came back it was buried and no clue where. Well it's been 2 weeks and still no sign of it. Looking back I should have QTed myself, but went back and forth with it cause I read alot of things that said go straight in tank and just as many for QTing leopards so please no bashing. My tank has a mesh top so it didn't jump and I have checked my overflow a few times just to be sure. Any chance it's still alive? It's a fairly large wrasse and I haven't seen any signs of anything dead in my tank. No ammonia, no CUC hanging in a specific area, and all other inhabitants are happy.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can hide for weeks, but that is pretty rare. You could try checking the tank around 4am again, but quite frankly, if it was qt'd for two weeks at the LFS it's sleep rhythm should be somewhat aligned to normal hours.

OP
OP
B

bdub22rhp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can hide for weeks, but that is pretty rare. You could try checking the tank around 4am again, but quite frankly, if it was qt'd for two weeks at the LFS it's sleep rhythm should be somewhat aligned to normal hours.

That's what I was thinking as well. I'm thinking it's probably a goner. Hate it. Became attached to it before it was even added.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bipartitus are difficult to get past the first couple of weeks but they are worth it. For the future, check out melevs reef for his acclimation box. He gives it another name of peacemaker or something. You keep your fish in it for up to a week and it really helps.

Consider this method for the future as I t works very well. The first 7 days, use a qt tank with CP and prazi for profilactic reasons. I use 1/2 dose level with Wrasses. They should start eating mysis while in there. Then move them to the refugium for another 7 days or so. There they have amphipods and mysis and can get fully acclimated to the display tank water. Finally, Move them to the DT for 7 days but keep them isolated in a peacemaker box. A bit of sand in the peacemaker helps. Finally, release into the display tank. This way, they will likely be out the next day and will be very much so used to eating mysis.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see up through the tank bottom? If so, you may be able to spot it. Two weeks hidden is certainly possible, though the longer it goes unseen, the poorer the prognosis.

OP
OP
B

bdub22rhp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bipartitus are difficult to get past the first couple of weeks but they are worth it. For the future, check out melevs reef for his acclimation box. He gives it another name of peacemaker or something. You keep your fish in it for up to a week and it really helps.

Consider this method for the future as I t works very well. The first 7 days, use a qt tank with CP and prazi for profilactic reasons. I use 1/2 dose level with Wrasses. They should start eating mysis while in there. Then move them to the refugium for another 7 days or so. There they have amphipods and mysis and can get fully acclimated to the display tank water. Finally, Move them to the DT for 7 days but keep them isolated in a peacemaker box. A bit of sand in the peacemaker helps. Finally, release into the display tank. This way, they will likely be out the next day and will be very much so used to eating mysis.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm holding on to the slim chance it is still alive and living on how fat it was. My tank is loaded with pods and amphipods so I guess it could be hunting at night too. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
B

bdub22rhp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see up through the tank bottom? If so, you may be able to spot it. Two weeks hidden is certainly possible, though the longer it goes unseen, the poorer the prognosis.

I can't. My stand only has holes cut for drains.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm holding on to the slim chance it is still alive and living on how fat it was. My tank is loaded with pods and amphipods so I guess it could be hunting at night too. Fingers crossed.

With a mature, pod filled tank, you have a much better chance. Good luck!

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't give up all hope after two weeks, I had one hide for three before coming out. Best of luck. Hard to get eating though, had to use live brine and nutrmar ova for a while.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with these fish is the initial acclimation. They are not obligate pod feeders like mandarins, and if healthy most will take to foods like brine and mysis. They are, however, very 'nervous' initially and can take while to get comfortable enough to emerge from the sand. Tankmates may well dictate whether one stays in the sand or not.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back