Birdsnest - Base bleaching white

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Approaching my 2 year mark on a mixed SPS/LPS tank. All the SPS are doing fantastic, and I've had a few LPS issues in the past 2 years from what I believe now was too intense lighting. 2 weeks ago, I did adjust my lighting intensity down about 25% lower. In the past 5 days, my large birdsnest colony, (which grows so fast I have to trim it every month or two), started bleaching from the base up. The bleaching appears to be getting worse every day. I believe the remedy is to frag a healthy arm and start over, but i really would rather not do that. I wonder: do you think that the bottom part is bleaching just because the top is so full and no longer getting enough light? Using a magnifying glass, I do not see any sort of bugs or anything. I have not had any recent additions or changes to the tank, but 2 weeks ago I lost a trachy from perfectly healthy to completely bleached in 48 hrs out of nowhere (I think that lighting was too intense)

parameters are stable: Alk 10.5dkh, Cal 420, Mg 1440, Nitrate 4, Phos 0.03, Salinity 34.4, ph 8.0-8.3, tmp 78.8

Here's a pic:

Birdsnest Base bleaching.JPG

Top Shelf Aquatics

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Why did you decrease your lighting

A trachy who has been in your tank for months wouldn’t just all of a sudden bleach from lighting.

While the birdnest is growing I do notice the base is dead and growing coraline algae on it. Could be too little flow or not enough like or both
Flow is very important for bigger colony’s like that to remain healthy

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have experienced this several times and always blame it on lack of flow and light due to their tight growth pattern. But interested to hear what others have to say.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't think that is bleaching.....that looks like STN/RTN which is a whole different issue. Birdsnest corals are normally one of the first coral to watch for something not being right......whether it is flow, lighting, water quality, etc. Reducing your light by 25% is a lot to do at one time.

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
I would agree it looks like a flow problem. When colonies get big like that it's tough to get flow down into the middle and they can RTN from the center out.
You could probably trim the colony into smaller chunks and reglue them to the rock? I know it sucks to cut up a big colony you've grown but it happens, unfortunately. :(

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes I would agree I would cut colony up too.

Also I would invest in an ice cap gyro. Think they are like 125 bucks and they really move a lot Of water around. I like mp40 but way more expensive. But mine are 5 years old

Those are the 2 choices I would get for flow imo

OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's just what I needed. I'll be attacking flow tonight! Probably going to have to trim it into smaller chunks, but I'll wait a week to see how things progress first.

What corals grow the best in your tank?

• SPS Corals

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • LPS Corals

Votes: 101 47.6%
  • Soft Corals

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Zoanthids

Votes: 55 25.9%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 11 5.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Omega Sea, LLC
IceCap Smart 4 Stage 100gpd RODI System.