Birdsnest bleaching

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've been having this birdsnest for about 23 days and it's starting to bleach severely. Within <7 days one of its branches started to bleach but I took care of it by moving it to a different location and started to heal. Last week (16 days) the base of the coral started to whiten (when I got it a bit of its base was bleached) on both sides and I don't know what to do. I currently have it under a cave to prevent any more bleaching. Here are my specs:
29g w/ sump (8g) (37g total)
Current USA Orbit Marine LED
Current USA wave pump

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
Salinity: 1.027
temp: 78F

Image on left (last week)
Image on right (today) (sorry about the algae)

6CF46CD1-EB75-4D84-BC60-A6F04F8A9215.jpeg A8233544-99DF-460C-85CB-B7ED42585DF0.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I've been having this birdsnest for about 23 days and it's starting to bleach severely. Within <7 days one of its branches started to bleach but I took care of it by moving it to a different location and started to heal. Last week (16 days) the base of the coral started to whiten (when I got it a bit of its base was bleached) on both sides and I don't know what to do. I currently have it under a cave to prevent any more bleaching. Here are my specs:
29g w/ sump (8g) (37g total)
Current USA Orbit Marine LED
Current USA wave pump

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
Salinity: 1.027

Image on left (last week)
Image on right (today) (sorry about the algae)

6CF46CD1-EB75-4D84-BC60-A6F04F8A9215.jpeg A8233544-99DF-460C-85CB-B7ED42585DF0.jpeg
Good chance its lacking light and par. They do best at the top part of tank with adequate flow and proper tank conditions:

salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
alk 8-9
CA 450
temp 77-79

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so my tank seems to fit the requirements of the sps (I don't have a ca or alk tester), but wouldn't bringing it closer to the top of the tank bleach it more?

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can bleach from either too much or not enough light. With the current USA lighting that you have it's not likely that they are getting too much light. I would definitely move it up as high as you can get it.

I have the same lights with dual fixtures, supplemented with a couple of T5's. And I have my birdsnest at the very top of my rocks, where they can get the most light and the most flow.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can bleach from either too much or not enough light. With the current USA lighting that you have it's not likely that they are getting too much light. I would definitely move it up as high as you can get it.

I have the same lights with dual fixtures, supplemented with a couple of T5's. And I have my birdsnest at the very top of my rocks, where they can get the most light and the most flow.
I never knew that corals can bleach with not enough lighting, that's probably the case then.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rent a PAR meter and make sure. Could be your Chemistry.

Rick Strauss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so my tank seems to fit the requirements of the sps (I don't have a ca or alk tester), but wouldn't bringing it closer to the top of the tank bleach it more?
Next purchase is a good alk tester! Very important if you expect sps to survive. IMO

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I don’t think you are anywhere near sps keeping. You will just be watching your money die. Testing is required as sps have specific parameter requirements compared to soft corals. Sps also require high PAR, something your light does not offer.

I would recommend educating yourself prior to buying inhabitants. Took me a while to learn that myself.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back