BJD and Torch Compataibility

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a lovely torch that is purple with a green mouth (I think they're often called joker or atomic torches). It's growing fine and always seems happy.

I've had two other torches, a dragon soul and a standard green tipped torch. I lost the dragon soul to BJD many, many months ago. I recently just lost my green tip, which was one of my first corals and showed absolutely no sign of stress of illness whatsoever.

The common denominator in both of these random losses is that they occurred shortly (a few weeks) after I placed them next to the joker torch. Of course, this is likely just coincidence, but I wondered if there's a possibly the atomic torch has a different microbiota or something that isn't compatible with the other torches? Or is it a carrier of BJD? Or could the atomic torch be stressing the others? I find the latter unlikely given they showed no signs of stress.

Has anyone experienced something like this before?

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
561A749A-C9DB-4613-8A81-256F19D4B4A2.jpeg
I’ve got several torches together.. joker, Knox, indo gold and a few others . They seem to have no issues.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a lovely torch that is purple with a green mouth (I think they're often called joker or atomic torches). It's growing fine and always seems happy.

I've had two other torches, a dragon soul and a standard green tipped torch. I lost the dragon soul to BJD many, many months ago. I recently just lost my green tip, which was one of my first corals and showed absolutely no sign of stress of illness whatsoever.

The common denominator in both of these random losses is that they occurred shortly (a few weeks) after I placed them next to the joker torch. Of course, this is likely just coincidence, but I wondered if there's a possibly the atomic torch has a different microbiota or something that isn't compatible with the other torches? Or is it a carrier of BJD? Or could the atomic torch be stressing the others? I find the latter unlikely given they showed no signs of stress.

Yes, and it was completely coincidental. Torches are finicky at best, and it could be that your joker loves the location, but the others don't. Had that happen to me several times... And given their finicky nature, it's much more likely that it's something to do with the lighting/flow or chemistry that they just don't like.

Torches get along with other torches (except for the rare aussie that doesn't get along with its indo brethren) and I have numerous torches of all different "names" hanging out next to each other in close contact.
I will note that torches do not get along well with other euphyllia. If you're wondering how close, here's an old shot of my euphyllia tank (before upsizing) and you can see how close they all are... and they do just fine.

unnamed21.jpg

calanprc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is JBD?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you suspect BJD you can pro actively medicated your torches with ciprofloaxin.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brown-jelly-disease-current-treatment-strategies.714440/ (i think of h2o2 dip as a more last resort option)
I agree ^
Dip and hospital tanks for cipro are the prob the best to treat them but in tank may be a solution if you dont have a qt or this is a euphylia heavy tank. Are you able to get cipro in the uk though? I have this on hand right now incase my bjd spreads...https://www.chewy.com/midland-vet-services-aqua-cipro-forte/dp/344725
Got a very minimally damaged cotton candy torch for $30 but bjd seems to have gone away by blowing it off everyday (stopped this 5 day ago now no bjd seen) and putting it in slightly higher flow directed at that section of the coral. Also been dosing a little h2o2 at night right now (until my oxydator comes) and added pns pro bio bacteria in for bacterial diversity. This is just my 1 tank so I would probab

Back