BJD?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer was normal in appearance until yesterday morning (right of the tang), though this pic is a few weeks old.
IMG_4968.jpeg

Yesterday evening it looks like this.

No other corals are acting unusual, and no shifts in water parameters. There appears to be a brownish color to the polyps on one side, and exposed skeleton maybe? I’ve not had any sudden issues with coral in the past, so I’m not sure what I’m dealing with, or even if it’s something to be concerned about yet.

Thoughts?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer was normal in appearance until yesterday morning (right of the tang), though this pic is a few weeks old.
IMG_4968.jpeg

Yesterday evening it looks like this.

No other corals are acting unusual, and no shifts in water parameters. There appears to be a brownish color to the polyps on one side, and exposed skeleton maybe? I’ve not had any sudden issues with coral in the past, so I’m not sure what I’m dealing with, or even if it’s something to be concerned about yet.

Thoughts?

Yep, that's BJD. I never had to deal with it myself so I wouldn't know the next steps, @encrustingacro or @ISpeakForTheSeas may be able to help

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok..........
As expected, treatment advice is all over the place. Has anyone successfully treated without antibiotics?
What did you do?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remove it from your reef and work it in a different setup, that's a nice reef you don't want cross contam to other recipients

do any action you want but in a different tank, don't blanket treat the display.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remove it from your reef and work it in a different setup, that's a nice reef you don't want cross contam to other recipients

do any action you want but in a different tank, don't blanket treat the display.
Also to make sure none of the other corals get infected, I've heard of BJD taking out entire systems

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely not treating in the DT. I’d rather toss it in the trash. I’ve got a small 10 gallon I can set up tonight.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Definitely not treating in the DT. I’d rather toss it in the trash. I’ve got a small 10 gallon I can set up tonight.
Totally fine and safe to treat in tank. You can search r2r for the cipro experiment. Even tidal garden does it. I had 15 torches, with aquite a few high end. One got BJD. It died. It spread to another. It died. Then it spread to 3 more. Cipro, saved the rest of them. No issues of it again.

If you keep torches you’ll need to have it on hand to save them. Eventually they will cut themselves, fish rub against it, and get an injury and die. You probably wouldn’t need to dose again.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally fine and safe to treat in tank. You can search r2r for the cipro experiment. Even tidal garden does it. I had 15 torches, with aquite a few high end. One got BJD. It died. It spread to another. It died. Then it spread to 3 more. Cipro, saved the rest of them. No issues of it again.

If you keep torches you’ll need to have it on hand to save them. Eventually they will cut themselves, fish rub against it, and get an injury and die. You probably wouldn’t need to dose again.
“Experiment” isn’t very reassuring. But I am reading up on my options.

I would rather not leave the infected hammer in the tank any longer than I need to, thus the hospital/QT setup.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to look into KFC dip. That is what I have done for all incoming euphillia. When I do a treatment I pull out all my hammers/frogspawn/torches and mushrooms and treatment together in a small tank with heater and small powerhead for 12+ hours.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
“Experiment” isn’t very reassuring. But I am reading up on my options.

I would rather not leave the infected hammer in the tank any longer than I need to, thus the hospital/QT setup.
They literally measured pre and post cipro bacteria. It’s literally the company that does it that posted it

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They literally measured pre and post cipro bacteria. It’s literally the company that does it that posted it

Haven’t seen that write up yet. Soooo many posts on the subject.

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bought from here. Used it based on this suggestion:

treat the tank at 500mg per 50g at lights out for 7 days. That seems to do the trick. Then if there actual brown jelly in the tank , turned flow off. Remove the affected Coral very carefully try not to get any of that goop into the water column. Then take some fresh salt water and swish it around to get any of the goop off. Then put it in a small quarter gallon container and put a whole Cipro pill in it. let it stay in there for 24 hours and that seems to nip it in the bud and then put it back into the tank and keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn?t reinfect. If it does, retreat the Coral. I would say I?ve had 50% success saving them. Sometimes when I notice it it?s too far gone so I throw it out. Now that I have it gone from my main system, I treat my quarantine tank every time I add new Corals, so not to spread it back into the main system

I followed this and then dosed my main tank for the 7 nights straight - no more in the main tank and was able to save 2 of the 3 infected torches when treated separately-

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back