Black Background

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

This one is not super exciting but next week our carpet is finally getting installed so I can finally set up my tank. I bought a standard 4ft drilled 90 gallon and stand. I have been doing some research on how to handle the back wall of the tank as I do not want to leave it clear. Back in the day I would just buy a black ground from the LFS and tape in on the back of the tank. However in past experiences it never looks very nice and always has spots where it not flush to the glass. I have also seen the backgrounds that go on like window tint and was wondering how simple they go on and if anyone has had experience with this kind of background. I do not wish to paint my tank so just putting this out there for advice. I have not set up a tank in 5+ years. Thank you !

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I painted my tank for the first time, and I am extremely glad I did. Masking-tape anything you don't want painted. Then use a tiny 4" roller marked 'cabinets and doors,' apply the first THIN coat in one direction and let dry. Then second thin coat in the opposite direction, and let dry. A total of four coats this way and you're finished. I used Flat Black Rustoleum, Oil Based.

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the painting, however I used plastidip spray to paint mine since it can easily be peeled off so it isn't permanent. And there are a gazzilion colors available.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mask your Overflow(s) off so you can see in them. On the Corner Overflows if you just paint the back of the Overflow, it’s hard to see in. Especially if a critter goes back there. I used Rustoleum too on mine. I have a center Overflow and masked it off. I didn’t have the tape in the perfect position, and you could see my mistake after I was set up. A piece off black electrical tape fixed that.

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in the era where we didn't use black back grounds. You just taped on a poster of a reef aquascape behind your tank. I know you don't want to paint, but that is the way to go. I have seen the black adhesive on tanks before and after a while they bubble or peel due to salt creep. Painting is your best option if you done have a tank with the black sealed in.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black poster board here. It fits perfectly and I can untape it when ever I want to change it. Another option is black acrylic on the inside of the tank against the back glass

Back