OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6" lawnmower in my frag tank. It has Removed all of the fine whispy filament types of algae from KP live rock including gha and rha. Left the Gorgs, halimedia and some broader leaf algae completely alone. They don't just pluck, their mouth actually scrapes the surface of the rock removing the algae from where it was growing. They can't get to the base in deep holes, but will do some a serious Work.

I cannot recommend two to a tank. I tried to qt two in the 40b at the same time. One killed the other So quickly I didn't even have an opportunity to respond. I may have had two males. There's a chance a male and a female would do fine together. I do not know so cannot recommend it.

Mike over at Dr. Reese quarantine fish. Pretty much always has them in stock, healthy And ready to ship.
Thanks for the advice, Lost.
I'll keep the lawnmower blenny in my considerations for sure. I forgot with my earlier question that blennies typically do not fare well together or get along nicely.

I may try multiple approaches to this issue including mollies (I already have them very cheaply from my FW tank), blenny, foxfaces, hermit crabs/snails, and algae scrubber.

One more question: is the sailfin/lawn-mower blenny (Salarias fasciatus) the best/only option for effective green hair algae control, or would other types, such as redlip (Ophioblennius atlanticus), molly miller (Scartella cristata), bicolor (Ecsenius bicolor), starry (Salarias ramosus), black sailfin (Atrosalarias fuscus), or black combtooth (Ecsenius namiyei) blennies viable options for hair algae control?
[I know this is a broad question, but just wondering if there are other types that work as well]

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed saltwater mollys to my predator tank, ya they eat alge pretty good , worth a shot.
I'm probably going to give it a try since I have them already for "free" from my freshwater tank.
I bought 6 initially not quite one year ago (by chance, 2 males and 4 females) and now have probably 50+ of various sizes. I'm pretty sure the only reason there are not even more is that the tank is not large enough to provide food or shelter (primarily) for more, especially the new babies.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, Lost.
I'll keep the lawnmower blenny in my considerations for sure. I forgot with my earlier question that blennies typically do not fare well together or get along nicely.

I may try multiple approaches to this issue including mollies (I already have them very cheaply from my FW tank), blenny, foxfaces, hermit crabs/snails, and algae scrubber.

One more question: is the sailfin/lawn-mower blenny (Salarias fasciatus) the best/only option for effective green hair algae control, or would other types, such as redlip (Ophioblennius atlanticus), molly miller (Scartella cristata), bicolor (Ecsenius bicolor), starry (Salarias ramosus), black sailfin (Atrosalarias fuscus), or black combtooth (Ecsenius namiyei) blennies viable options for hair algae control?
[I know this is a broad question, but just wondering if there are other types that work as well]
I have zero firsthand experience with any of those other types. I've gone LM every time and not regretted it.

2 of my 3 lawnmowers have a very cool personality. They interact with me at the glass, perch and observe and are generally homies.

The third is a scardy cat and bolts for the den when I approach.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back