Black nox angelfish

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had any experience with these? Reef safe? Aggression? Pictures?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical characteristics of most pygmy angels.

50/50 on coral-safe.

I would be wary with large, fleshy LPS corals.

Really neat fish though, one of the more underrated pygmy angels.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical characteristics of most pygmy angels.

50/50 on coral-safe.

I would be wary with large, fleshy LPS corals.

Really neat fish though, one of the more underrated pygmy angels.

I’m really hesitant about them, my girlfriend and i love torch corals and that sounds like heaven for them haha

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really hesitant about them, my girlfriend and i love torch corals and that sounds like heaven for them haha
I understand how you feel, I was really hesitant to get my baby flame angel since I have a couple higher end LPS corals and a prized gold torch, but so far so good from my angel, he may snap one day and start picking at it at which point I would need to catch and rehome him haha

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above they are a bit of a risk with corals but I'd be more worried about open fleshy polyps like scolys, Acans or brains than euphyllia (at least in my experience). This species is however one of the shyer dwarf angels, so you need lots of caves and hidey holes for them and you might not see an awful lot of it.
An alternative that's completely coral safe is the springers dottyback. They are black but have a lovely blue to the face. Again it's not a constantly out and about species but is a great option. The mcneilli assessor is similar just not quite as dark.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above they are a bit of a risk with corals but I'd be more worried about open fleshy polyps like scolys, Acans or brains than euphyllia (at least in my experience). This species is however one of the shyer dwarf angels, so you need lots of caves and hidey holes for them and you might not see an awful lot of it.
An alternative that's completely coral safe is the springers dottyback. They are black but have a lovely blue to the face. Again it's not a constantly out and about species but is a great option. The mcneilli assessor is similar just not quite as dark.

I appreciate the options! Thanks!

Back